Windows 7 on a kaby lake system

MrlUnleashed

Ive been hearing it is possible to install windows 7 on a kaby lake system but it wont update. Now, will it not update automatically or is it not possible to update at all? Id really like to stick with the 7 because it would be an HTPC and it wouldnt be used for anything other than offline gaming and movies. Has anyone tried having win 7 on kaby lake? Any help would be appreciated.

1 minute ago, MrlUnleashed said:

Ive been hearing it is possible to install windows 7 on a kaby lake system but it wont update. Now, will it not update automatically or is it not possible to update at all? Id really like to stick with the 7 because it would be an HTPC and it wouldnt be used for anything other than offline gaming and movies. Has anyone tried having win 7 on kaby lake? Any help would be appreciated.

Jayztwocents did a video on this. I can't link it because I'm at school, but you can look it up.

If you don't watch the video, then know this, unless you use skylake, windows 7 does not work well at all with modern CPUs.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

16 minutes ago, JR8 said:

Jayztwocents did a video on this. I can't link it because I'm at school, but you can look it up.

If you don't watch the video, then know this, unless you use skylake, windows 7 does not work well at all with modern CPUs.

so it can work but nothing is guaranteed. worth trying.

Just now, MrlUnleashed said:

I would say it isn't, but if you already have a Kaby lake system laying around, and a free copy of windows 7? Then yeah, knock yourself out, but don't really expect success, as the system may crash, even doing mundane things like video streaming.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

1 minute ago, MrlUnleashed said:

Honestly go on Kinguin and buy a 23 dollar windows 10 key. Done. And you don't have the headache of dealing with crashing issues.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

2 minutes ago, JR8 said:

I would say it isn't, but if you already have a Kaby lake system laying around, and a free copy of windows 7? Then yeah, knock yourself out, but don't really expect success, as the system may crash, even doing mundane things like video streaming.

ive seen cinebench and some games benchmarks ran on win 7 with pentium G4560 and they didnt report any crash. on jays video win 8.1 did have crashes but only during instalation. 

im open minded to it ill give it a shot.

2 minutes ago, JR8 said:

Honestly go on Kinguin and buy a 23 dollar windows 10 key. Done. And you don't have the headache of dealing with crashing issues.

well id rather try to deal with a few crashes than windows updates, maybe im thinking wrong but from what ive seen it can work fine. 

Windows 7 runs fine on Kaby Lake systems, and it should be just as stable as any other x86 CPU. And you can update Windows 7 on a Kaby Lake system by downloading updates from WSUS Offline: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

I also have made a blog post to help with creating your own updated Windows 7 ISO.

To install Windows 7 on a Kaby Lake system, you might have to add USB 3.0 drivers to your Windows 7 ISO, if you're not installing from a DVD, but a USB 3.0 stick.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

On 09/05/2017 at 2:49 PM, JR8 said:

He did that video before all of this nonsense with MS pushing updates that blocked current processors like kaby lake and ryzen from receiving updates after that went through (the first update could be got around by editing a file, but I don't know if there is a similar fix for the second update) so installing windows 7 on any kaby lake processor based system is likely to end with updates up to the point when the block update gets installed.