Buying parts advice £450

For about a year I have used the following PC to play games such as CS:GO, gmod, arma, battlefield and anything else that interested me. I currently own a GTX 970 MSI, FX-8350, 650w psu, 1tb hard drive and 8GB ram. I have saved £450 and could flex to over £500 on purchasing new parts. As my CPU bottlenecks my GPU and cannot be overclocked due to mother board and stock fan I have decided to use some parts I already own and buy new ones to increase performance In games. I was thinking about using my GTX 970 as it is still a viable choice with the right CPU, my power supply and hard drive and spend up to £500 on other parts. I plan on getting a new CPU with fan, case, motherboard and newer RAM that would enable me to get the most out of my 970. I have recently started streaming so want to consistently get high fps in mainly CS:GO whilst streaming and also play any other game I enjoy such as arma without sudden fps drops. Please could someone advise me on new parts preferably using PC parts picker as I need assistance. They will obviously all need to be compatible and fit inside a new case. I was looking into an i7 and 8GB ram whether it would be worth getting over 16GB ram and an i5. Thanks, Harry

Just now, Tb428 said:

ryzen 5 1700x

Do you mean r7 1700x or r5 1600x?

Either way I'd be partial to the r5 1600.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @4.4GHz Motherboard: Intel DX79TO | Graphics Card: XFX RX 480 RS RAM:  16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR3 @ 1600MHz Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: 1x Kingston UV400 120GB | 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 1x WD Green 1TB | PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W | Case: NZXT S340 White | Cooling: NZXT Kraken x31

I was saying intel i7 but If AMD have a viable option then i'd be interested

I would go for Ryzen 5 1600(none x) + 16 DDR4 of ram (highest MHz you can get, because Ryzen series show bigger performance with bigger MHz power of your RAM, 3000MHz shows 10% more performance over 2133MHz).

And maybe MSI Gaming AMD Ryzen B350 for an AM4 motherboard.

So AMD over intel?

1 minute ago, HazzR said:

So AMD over intel?

I would say yes. AMD offers affordable prices, and at this point, Ryzen is the way to go for your money.

Just now, HazzR said:

So AMD over intel?

I would say so. Intel currently offers the edge on pure gaming - the 7700k is the best gaming CPU atm. BUT the Ryzen offerings are good enough for all but the most picky and will give you better price to performance and more flexibility in terms of streaming, editing or any other multithreaded workload. For me it's difficult to recommend Intel CPUs in most situations.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @4.4GHz Motherboard: Intel DX79TO | Graphics Card: XFX RX 480 RS RAM:  16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR3 @ 1600MHz Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: 1x Kingston UV400 120GB | 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 1x WD Green 1TB | PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W | Case: NZXT S340 White | Cooling: NZXT Kraken x31

Thanks for the replies. Would someone possibly be able to put together a quick parts list on PC part picker to show me what would work best? 

27 minutes ago, Oscargot said:

I would say so. Intel currently offers the edge on pure gaming - the 7700k is the best gaming CPU atm. BUT the Ryzen offerings are good enough for all but the most picky and will give you better price to performance and more flexibility in terms of streaming, editing or any other multithreaded workload. For me it's difficult to recommend Intel CPUs in most situations.

So how would this be with my GTX 970 and 650W PSU? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Jx8W6X

27 minutes ago, HazzR said:

Thanks for the replies. Would someone possibly be able to put together a quick parts list on PC part picker to show me what would work best? 

700$ - Entry Gamer

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600                             220$
GPU - GTX 1050 Ti SSC  4GB                     130$
RAM - Corsair vengeance 8gb ddr4 2400mhz black  60$
MOBO - MSI Gaming AMD Ryzen B350            85$
SSD - Kingston Digital HyperX FURY 120GB        50$
HDD - WD Blue 1TB                               50$
PSU - CORSAIR CXM series CX750M 750W            70$
CASE - DeepCool TX Mid Tower TESSERACT SW       40$

2 minutes ago, HazzR said:

So how would this be with my GTX 970 and 650W PSU? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Jx8W6X

Keep in mind the PSU tier. Higher tier (1 best) is better. With high pressure on the power supply, the power supply itself doesn't perform on the max watts the box says, the is a watt lost. Higher tier PSUs have lower lost on watts. I don't know if I explain it right... :D

Just now, tropicano said:

Keep in mind the PSU tier. Higher tier (1 best) is better. With high pressure on the power supply, the power supply itself doesn't perform on the max watts the box says, the is a watt lost. Higher tier PSUs have lower lost on watts. I don't know if I explain it right... :D

Yes, I know about the tiers because you get gold-bronze right? I'll have to check mine :)

6 minutes ago, HazzR said:

Yes, I know about the tiers because you get gold-bronze right? I'll have to check mine :)

Here is a 2017 Tier list of reliable PSUs: https://www.ngolongtech.net/2017/01/top-update-psu-tier-list-2017-for-gaming-desktop.html 

You can pick one of them, 3 tier would be fine.

And here is a video from Linus, explaining the 80PLUS certificates (Bronze, Silver, Gold etc.). :)