My First Build

PrismaticM

Hi, I'm going to build a Hackintosh (DualOS) and I've not allot of experience with Hackintoshs (none apart of several videos I've seen on YT, but've owned a iMac since 2010)

So I've chosen some parts from amazon, I think they'll work, after tony's site, but if I'm wrong it would be nice to give me some warning or some recommendations;

Intel i7 3770k

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD4H 1155 Socket

Nvidia Gigabyte 670 OC 2GB (are 2gb enough for 2 screen editing/gaming) / or a 7970 (would be great if someone could propose me a version (msi, asus etc.))

Corsair H80i or H100i (don't know if it'll fit)

Samsung Pro 256 GB SSD (for OSX and software)

Samsung 840 128GB SSD (for Win7/8 and games)

Western Digital Blue 1TB 64 mb Cache (for storage)

Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600mhz

Fractal Define R4 Black Pearl

Would be great if someone could also recommend a modular powersupply and a CD/DVD reader/burner

Thanks icon_e_wink.gif

all the 7970 reference are all identical no matter what brand,

CPU: Intel i7-3930k @4.2GHz,  Motherboard: Asus X79 Sabertooth, CPU Cooler: Corsair H100, Case: Corsair 600t, RAM: 8x4GB Corsair Vengance Black 1600mhz CL9, GPU: Gigabyte 6870OC ,PSU: Corsair AX1200 ,Boot Drive: Sandisk Extream 240GB ,Game Drive: OCZ Agility 3 120GB ,Storage Drive - 1: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB ,Storage Drive - 2: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB ,Ram Cooler: 2x Kingston HyperX Memory Cooler (Blue)

The H80i will fit no problem.

I recommend the corsair AX series powersupply, but for me Corsair link something important so I would not go for the AX-i series, they are way too expensive, though the original AX series come in at a good pricepoint

The wattage should be around 800+ watts, you would be fine with a 600 watt PSU using those components but for the sake of expandability I recommend getting a PSU with some headroom.

Here is one I had in mind http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-860-Watt-Platinum-AX860/dp/B00A0HZMKG/

For the last thing CD/DVD reader/burner, I do not recommend you buy an internal one, instead get an external optical drive so you can use it for multiple computers and just tuck it away somewhere when you dont use it.

Great component choices.

The R4 has ALOT of room for cable management, very roomy and native support for almost anything, its a great choice for your first build.

Corsair Vengeance RAM is really high quality and good value, I use it for my personal build.

Samsung SSD's is the perfect choice they have never caused me any kind of trouble and I have done atleast 20 builds using them, they never cause bluescreens like sandforce drives can do sometimes.

Can't say alot about the motherboard since I haven't personally used it, though gigabyte UD-series boards tend to be really well made so no worries there.

The 3770k is a good choice of processor, I've used it for the majority of my builds and and usually you can reach overclocks between 4.4-4.8 GHz without any kind of problem.

The only thing that I would change in this build is the harddrive.

Getting a 1 TB drive is not a good value, upgrade that to a 2-3 TB drive instead, it doesn't increase the price by much and you won't have to buy more storage for a while.

The H80i will fit no problem.

I recommend the corsair AX series powersupply, but for me Corsair link something important so I would not go for the AX-i series, they are way too expensive, though the original AX series come in at a good pricepoint

The wattage should be around 800+ watts, you would be fine with a 600 watt PSU using those components but for the sake of expandability I recommend getting a PSU with some headroom.

Here is one I had in mind http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-860-Watt-Platinum-AX860/dp/B00A0HZMKG/

For the last thing CD/DVD reader/burner, I do not recommend you buy an internal one, instead get an external optical drive so you can use it for multiple computers and just tuck it away somewhere when you dont use it.

Great component choices.

The R4 has ALOT of room for cable management, very roomy and native support for almost anything, its a great choice for your first build.

Corsair Vengeance RAM is really high quality and good value, I use it for my personal build.

Samsung SSD's is the perfect choice they have never caused me any kind of trouble and I have done atleast 20 builds using them, they never cause bluescreens like sandforce drives can do sometimes.

Can't say alot about the motherboard since I haven't personally used it, though gigabyte UD-series boards tend to be really well made so no worries there.

The 3770k is a good choice of processor, I've used it for the majority of my builds and and usually you can reach overclocks between 4.4-4.8 GHz without any kind of problem.

The only thing that I would change in this build is the harddrive.

Getting a 1 TB drive is not a good value, upgrade that to a 2-3 TB drive instead, it doesn't increase the price by much and you won't have to buy more storage for a while.

First of all Thanks for that great advices that you gave me!

I know that a H80i'll fit but I don't know if the H100i'll fit, and I'don't know if the H80i'll have that cooling performance like a H100i

And I don't know which card I should buy for 2 screens (is 2 GB enough?)

And I'm a little audiophile It would be nice if u could recommend ma a decent card which is simulating surround arround 50$

And screens, I'm sitting infront of a nice iMac IPS is this one also good, would u recommend another one ? ( http://www.amazon.com/Acer-H236HL-bid-23-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B00AZMLIDQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364050362&sr=1-1&keywords=Acer+H236 )

Thanks ;)

all the 7970 reference are all identical no matter what brand,
Neither of the cards are a reference card, infact they are both custom. Something like this is a reference card. http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=67293&vpn=AX7970%203BGD5%2DM2DHG&manufacture=PowerColor

Reference cards generally only have 1 fan and it's a 2 slot card (mid-high end cards) and they have a rectangular cover over the card.

CPU: Intel i7-3930k @4.2GHz,  Motherboard: Asus X79 Sabertooth, CPU Cooler: Corsair H100, Case: Corsair 600t, RAM: 8x4GB Corsair Vengance Black 1600mhz CL9, GPU: Gigabyte 6870OC ,PSU: Corsair AX1200 ,Boot Drive: Sandisk Extream 240GB ,Game Drive: OCZ Agility 3 120GB ,Storage Drive - 1: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB ,Storage Drive - 2: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB ,Ram Cooler: 2x Kingston HyperX Memory Cooler (Blue)