Hey Family,

Could you guys just help me out here. I have an old PC which I bought from my friend, to use it as a NAS or Storage Server for my personal crap storage! As being legit and using Linus's Principles to be legit, I wanted to know if there is any free operating system open source which can be used for the storage server and can be accessed easily.

Thanks,

Martin Noronha

Laptop: Asus R558U Notebook Series

Processor: Intel® Core i5™ 7200U clocked up to 3.1 Ghz

Memory: 12 Gigabytes of Crucial SODIMM Memory

HDD: 1 TB

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 940MX

freenas

2 minutes ago, CaptainGunny said:

freenas

Freenas is great but you can use pretty much any OS really. Windows can do it (though its not free) and Linux can do it too.

What are the system specs?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I checked out FreeNAS but the thing was it's not getting installed on that server.

I currently installed Windows 7 Professional and I'm using TeamViewer for the time being and connected a TP-Link Switch to a D-Link ADSL Router for a better go! 

My CPU Specs are 

Intel Pentium D Series (something like that)

2 Gigs DDR2 Memory

Intel Onboard Graphics 

450 watt power supply

asus p-50 motherboard (i guess :) Lol )

Thanks for replying @CaptainGunny @Master Disaster Really Appreciate your help and Support,

Martin Noronha

11 minutes ago, Martin Noronha said:

I checked out FreeNAS but the thing was it's not getting installed on that server.

I currently installed Windows 7 Professional and I'm using TeamViewer for the time being and connected a TP-Link Switch to a D-Link ADSL Router for a better go! 

My CPU Specs are 

Intel Pentium D Series (something like that)

2 Gigs DDR2 Memory

Intel Onboard Graphics 

450 watt power supply

asus p-50 motherboard (i guess :) Lol )

Thanks for replying @CaptainGunny @Master Disaster Really Appreciate your help and Support,

Martin Noronha

Nvm than, i would go with linux. You need at least 8GB for freenas to work well. 

Magical Pineapples

Thanks A Lot for replying @MrUnknownEMC, I will download Linux instead! Thanks a lot for your support bro. Really appreciate your help!

You could just leave it and Win7Pro. Create some shares and your good to go.

With Linux you normally want to look at ZFS but you want 1gb of ram per 1tb of hard drive to get he best speed out of it. If you only have 2gb RAM the you will want to use ext3 and that is no better then NTFS. (Not the debate we want to get into right now).

Just now, NZLaurence said:

You could just leave it and Win7Pro. Create some shares and your good to go.

With Linux you normally want to look at ZFS but you want 1gb of ram per 1tb of hard drive to get he best speed out of it. If you only have 2gb RAM the you will want to use ext3 and that is no better then NTFS. (Not the debate we want to get into right now).

Oh! Thanks for the info mate! Just was Googling this out :P

If your client PC is windows as well then using common passwords and usernames between the systems will allow you to get it going secured very easily. However if its just a fun or learning experience, use Ubuntu and google and give it a go. (Remember to backup)

Just now, NZLaurence said:

If your client PC is windows as well then using common passwords and usernames between the systems will allow you to get it going secured very easily. However if its just a fun or learning experience, user Ubuntu and google and give it a go. (Remember to backup)

Thanks mate! I guess I need to learn a lot before doing anything! But no problems, soon in some weeks automatically using the forums I may learn something at least!