7700k OC help

I'm trying to find the lowest voltage possible before instability. 

I'm only set to 4.6ghz, and I'm using adaptive. 

On my Asus Strix board my additional turbo mode could voltage is 0.966 and my offer voltage is -0.50

It boots and runs asus realbench until I stop it. 

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding adaptive voltage, but it doesn't seem to be reducing voltage when I lower those numbers.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Tip: always use Fixed, especially if you are trying to go for lowest possible. You do not want your mobo playing with you. Besides, if want the lowest possible, what is the point of having adaptive calibrated so that it never drops below minimum, but always goes above what you actually need?

Put that on Fixed / Manual (whatever you mobo calls it..) and then do your thing.

Also, for stress test, use Prime95 (28.10) Small FFT. Or OCCT. But Asus Realbench... merh.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

So everything up until the turbo speeds stick with the Intel specs but once you go above turbo (4.5ghz I suppose) adaptive will take over and set a maximum voltage? 

Also I'm super disappointed in the heat of kaby lake. 

Can't read even hit 4.7 without warm temps, but my voltages seem very low. Just a shitty tim job I guess. 

35 minutes ago, Stuff_ said:

So everything up until the turbo speeds stick with the Intel specs but once you go above turbo (4.5ghz I suppose) adaptive will take over and set a maximum voltage? 

I... don't get what you're trying to say.

At any rate, though, adaptive is bad and should not be used.

36 minutes ago, Stuff_ said:

Can't read even hit 4.7 without warm temps, but my voltages seem very low. Just a shitty tim job I guess. 

What was your cooler again?

But yeah, one of the downsides to the new 14+ process is that, while it does clock higher, it also generates more heat. And, ofc, there's always the TIM used, which is designed to last many years rather than having amazing cooling capabilities.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I have a Corsair h100i V2 and even with leaving it un overclocked at 4.5 turbo my CPU will hit almost 90c in prime 95. 

My paste application is fine. So that either leaves the h100i having issues or the CPU had a poor application of tim initially. 

1 hour ago, Stuff_ said:

That is exactly correct.  When you use adaptive voltage, anything up to just short of turbo will use stock VID programmed for the chip by Intel.

Once turbo kicks in, voltage will scale according to the adaptive plan that you've set.  Additionally, while using adaptive, you can't drop below the programmed VID without using a negative offset in addition to the adaptive turbo voltage.

Best practice is to used manual voltage to determine your lowest stable Vcore.  Once you have found it and have confirmed that it's stable, then use that same value to set your adaptive voltage.

1 hour ago, Stuff_ said:

Very common feedback from a lot of users.  If you are going to overclock a KBL chip, be prepared to cool it properly for average overclocks and delid for higher clocks (5 GHz +).

Good luck man. 

1 hour ago, Imakuni said:

Also, for stress test, use Prime95 (28.10) Small FFT. Or OCCT

1 hour ago, Stuff_ said:

Kaby Lake i7s are all apparently running hot...  Not sure if it is the OCCT test or not, but there is an article on Guru3D about both the 7700 and 7700k spiking up on temps under some loads to above 90 C.  

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gamers-report-core-i7-7700-temperature-spikes.html

4 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Kaby Lake i7s are all apparently running hot...  Not sure if it is the OCCT test or not, but there is an article on Guru3D about both the 7700 and 7700k spiking up on temps under some loads to above 90 C.  

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gamers-report-core-i7-7700-temperature-spikes.html

Yes, Kaby runs hotter than Sky at the same voltage. Since both are the same architecture, people just assumed "1.35v is fine for Skylake, should be for Kaby as well, no?" and went ballz to the wallz on their OCs, generating that massive wave of heat reports you see online.

Well my issue is that I'm seeing really high temps just with stock everything except I've lowered my voltage and set an offset. 

Gaming I'll see mid 70s, stressing with prime I'll see 85-90c. 

This is at 4.5ghz as well. 

1 minute ago, Stuff_ said:

Well my issue is that I'm seeing really high temps just with stock everything except I've lowered my voltage and set an offset. 

Gaming I'll see mid 70s, stressing with prime I'll see 85-90c. 

This is at 4.5ghz as well. 

Can you please take a print of HWmonitor while in stress testing? Let us see what's going on with tha PC of yours...

Well, I bought another h100i v2 from bestbuy just now and installed it. Gonna test and see if my unit has a failing pump or something. If so, it's still under Corsair warranty.

I don't have a small fft screenshot from prime95 with my other unit, but I do have the "blend" test hw mon screenshot.

1st image: Old AIO using blend mode in prime 95:

2nd Image: New AIO using small fft in prime 95:

I recall using small fft with the other AIO and seeing temps around 85-90c before I stopped stressing.

I'm gonna swap back just to double check.

Untitled.png

untitled1.png

1 minute ago, Stuff_ said:

Well, I bought another h100i v2 from bestbuy just now and installed it. Gonna test and see if my unit has a failing pump or something. If so, it's still under Corsair warranty.

I don't have a small fft screenshot from prime95 with my other unit, but I do have the "blend" test hw mon screenshot.

1st image: Old AIO using blend mode in prime 95:

2nd Image: New AIO using small fft in prime 95:

I recall using small fft with the other AIO and seeing temps around 85-90c before I stopped stressing.

I'm gonna swap back just to double check.

You should give HWinfo64 a try.  Much more information and all of the sensors are actually reported correctly.  :D

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Just wondering, did you delid your CPU? You could just have a big gap making it run hotter.

2 hours ago, done12many2 said:

You should give HWinfo64 a try.  Much more information and all of the sensors are actually reported correctly.  :D

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Meh. I've found that every single software sensor reading has always been the same within a degree or so.

But if it makes you feel any better, I downloaded and ran it. Identical temps.

13 minutes ago, Stuff_ said:

Meh. I've found that every single software sensor reading has always been the same within a degree or so.

I was referring to other sensors like Vcore, VCCSA, and the like.  They are obviously wrong in your CPUID HWMonitor screen shot that you posted earlier.  Common problem with that particular monitoring software.  VID is probably correct, but who knows?  

The great thing with HWInfo64 is you don't have to guess what's reporting correctly and what's not.  Monitoring things like VTT, VCCSA, and VCCIO are important on Kaby Lake CPUs.

But if it makes you feel any better, I downloaded and ran it. Identical temps.

I don't feel any better, but it seems like you do.  You seem to have it all figured out so I'll see my way out of your need help thread.  

Untitled.png.0112eb561e8a5d5da03422f63715cb8e.jpg

I feel like the original cooler was the issue entirely. I have had it for 2.5-3 years, so maybe the pump wasn't as good as it once was.

Either way I get between 5-10c better.

I appreciate the help and input. Sorry if I seemed rude or anything. I was frustrated because of the issue but feeling a bit better seeing my temps drop and generally max out at 77c or so (instead of 87).