Help me understand

So ive been playing some games on my friends older hardware (1st gen i5, old 570) and in newer games ive been realizing his hardware is never maxed out (its usually around 80-90%) Is this because the hardware cant keep up with itself? I know that sounds dumb but i dunno why it wouldnt be maxed

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

2 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

So ive been playing some games on my friends older hardware (1st gen i5, old 570) and in newer games ive been realizing his hardware is never maxed out (its usually around 80-90%) Is this because the hardware cant keep up with itself? I know that sounds dumb but i dunno why it wouldnt be maxed

what goes 80-90% the cpu or gpu?

Just now, yathis said:

What games?

ME andromeda, gtav and just cause 3

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Just now, Ethocreeper said:

what goes 80-90% the cpu or gpu?

both usually

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

1 minute ago, Nickathom said:

both usually

Do you notice stuttering or low FPS? Utilization isn't necessarily representative of performance. Ideally, you want both running at 80-100% unless you are framecapping.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

If you're getting good frame rates from your hardware I wouldn't read too much into it. I've noticed that my hardware doesn't always sit at 100% and its usually for the better, if a graphically intense scene needs to be computed and drawn your hardware has the extra few percent to maintain frames.

Of course if you have v-sync active that may also be why the utilization is down.