DAW/Audio/CPU issue

Does any of you have had "Propellerhead Reason 9" CPU spike related problems and know how to fix it? Hoping any of you in here got similar interest in music production WITH some knowledge on how to fix CPU isses with DAW's

I'm having some serious CPU usage when R9 (Reason 9) gets opened, and i've complained to propellerhead about 2 twice and the 3rd time being today and i always get the answer that it is my hardware that is the issue and they can't help me.

Well.. Since i just finished a completely new and a lot more powerful system with a new "Focusrite Clarett 2Pre" (Thunderbolt connected with separate power adapter ) audio interface, Reason still manages to produce the same heavy amount of CPU/stuttering/lag/noise issues like on my last system, so i KNOW it is not a hardware related problem!

The DAW is running with roughly around 30% CPU usage on a busy project, IN AN IDLE STATE! 5-10% is more realistic and would be considered normal.

I've spend quite a lot of money on the new system only to be sad that the issue didn't get solved, so if you know any fixes or tricks to get around this obstacle then it will be very welcome!

It seems that it also targets other DAWs or DAW related software like "Analog Lab 2" from arturia, but the cpu spikes are more targeted at specific synths in that software oddly enough.

I will post pictures on request but for now they won't help much.

Yes, synths will heavily impact your system load, especially when you start using multiple voices per synth.

Also, what are your system specs?

5 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Yes, synths will heavily impact your system load, especially when you start using multiple voices per synth.

Also, what are your system specs?

It has never been an issue so something is interfering with my system. I've always been able to produce with a lot of elements on lesser systems... :/ 

Had no problems at the first version of Reason 9 (Currently at 9.2) and i've been seamlessly been able to produce music without needing to contact support or resort to measuring tools..

Mobo: Gigagbyte Z270x Gaming 7
CPU: i7 7700K 4.2-4.7GHz clocked at 4.5
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+
RAM: 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Hard-drive(s) Samsung V-NAND SSD 850EVO 500GB (System Drive) - WD Black 4TB 7200RPM
PSU: Corsair HX750i

Oh yeah, something is definitely wrong. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing everything?

5 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Oh yeah, something is definitely wrong. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing everything?

Finished this workstation 4 days ago with 3 days of testing, so everything is fresh. I tested the pc before installing all the crap i need for music production xD just to be sure.

What discourages me is that it the same issue my previous system had which now leads me to think i sort of wasted a lot of money for nothing... But at-least i am now ready for future stuff. 

When playing 1 note on my keyboard and moving the mouse cursor around, a static noise gets louder than what already being produced by the high amount of CPU usage.

It might be a synth plugin that isn't properly supported. Try to nail with synth is causing the CPU hog and remove it from your DAW and see if it helps.

I've only ever messed around with FL studio so I'm not sure how you integrate all your plugins to R9.

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

It might be a synth plugin that isn't properly supported. Try to nail with synth is causing the CPU hog and remove it from your DAW and see if it helps.

I've only ever messed around with FL studio so I'm not sure how you integrate all your plugins to R9.

Reason does not support VST/VSTI. YET! Late May they will release Reason 9.5 which will release and integrate VST into Reason. Awesome but useless to me if i can't produce music xD 

Try a different DAW I guess? It sucks you already paid (or pirated) for reason, but there are so many others available at least test to see if it affects your performance. Then you can nail it down to Reason being the issue or at that point, something hardware related.

I was thinking full version of Ableton live 9.7, but if it is a software fix then i would be wasting money. But yes that has been considered :) Many times actually.