Yoola
Go to solution Solved by DnFx91,
2 hours ago, Yoola said:

I'm wondering why people still refuse 4k so much...? 

Considering the fact that you can always lower the resolution on games that you really can't run in 4k seems like a pretty good deal to me. Or do they really look that bad when they're downscaled to any non-native resolution?

Also it's worth mentioning I'm not a competitive player so 60Hz sounds just fine to me same as medium settings. Also those higher refresh rate 1400p screens are 700€+ here while I can grab a 4k 60Hz screen for ~250€. I plan to replace one of two my 1080p screens with a 4k panel which would be powered with GTX 1070. Is there anything else I should take into account?

4K is still poo-poo'd because the PC community still can't get over the fact that there is more to computing than simply getting more frames in games. I've been rocking my PB287Q for a few years now and i still adore it. And you are exactly right, just turn down the settings on whatever games you cant run at 4k, the scaling isnt even noticable, besides its a first world problem, consoles have been scaling their outputs for years and nobody seemed to care all that much.

4k is clearly the better productivity option, and 120+hz/ultrawide is clearly better for gaming, however with that said, 4k does gaming better than 120+hz/ultrawide does productivity, if that makes sense ?

Considering the fact that you can always lower the resolution on games that you really can't run in 4k seems like a pretty good deal to me. Or do they really look that bad when they're downscaled to any non-native resolution?

Also it's worth mentioning I'm not a competitive player so 60Hz sounds just fine to me same as medium settings. Also those higher refresh rate 1400p screens are 700€+ here while I can grab a 4k 60Hz screen for ~250€. I plan to replace one of two my 1080p screens with a 4k panel which would be powered with GTX 1070. Is there anything else I should take into account?

A lot of times you can get far better 1080p displays (as far as features and such) than you can with 4K for the same money. Stuff like higher refresh rates and inputs, etc. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

A lot of times you can get far better 1080p displays (as far as features and such) than you can with 4K for the same money. Stuff like higher refresh rates and inputs, etc. 

I'm currently running 2 1080p IPS displays and they feel fine to me. Don't feel the need for higher refresh rate as I'm really not a competitive gamer. Just feeling like I could use more pixels for all the productivity I do. 

2 minutes ago, Yoola said:

I'm currently running 2 1080p IPS displays and they feel fine to me. Don't feel the need for higher refresh rate as I'm really not a competitive gamer. Just feeling like I could use more pixels for all the productivity I do. 

For productivity, 4K is well worth it. There are times where I want to use my TV rather than my monitor because of the higher pixel count, but for gaming I don't see it as necessary. I'd much rather have a higher refresh rate. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

It's mainly gamers who play multiplayer shooters such as CSGO, H1Z1 or Battlegrounds that don't like 4K screens, yet. They are just better of with a 1080p/1440p screen with 144hz. 

4K is great for single player games, movies and productivity. 

i have nothing against 4k displays. i had one for about a year, but i upgrade to a 3440x1440p ultrawide which is better in every way! and about 40% less demanding.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

2 hours ago, Yoola said:

4K is still poo-poo'd because the PC community still can't get over the fact that there is more to computing than simply getting more frames in games. I've been rocking my PB287Q for a few years now and i still adore it. And you are exactly right, just turn down the settings on whatever games you cant run at 4k, the scaling isnt even noticable, besides its a first world problem, consoles have been scaling their outputs for years and nobody seemed to care all that much.

4k is clearly the better productivity option, and 120+hz/ultrawide is clearly better for gaming, however with that said, 4k does gaming better than 120+hz/ultrawide does productivity, if that makes sense ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64