Changing GTX 780 logo colour

Hey guys
so i want to theme my pc around the character Black Rock Shooter (in short Black And Blue) so blue led's and accenting etc etc.
now my pc has a gtx 780 in it that i love very much minus the green geforce logo yes it looks impressive and a few people at lan parties have said to me wow that looks cool however it doesn't fit into a blue build when its ya know green so i found a tutorial on changing the colour and it seems very simple however i don't know what sort of paint to use on the logo rubber cardy thing that the light comes through, obviously enamel would be too thick and likely wouldn't let any light through from the cards white LED's and somebody mentioned lightbulb paint but i cant find a single website that proves its current existence so if anyone could help me here that would be fantastic.

I don't know if it is indeed called lightbulb paint but it does exist.

Maybe LED paint? I don't know the right name either :D

Maybe look at your local rc store, sometimes they sell that. Or your local car mod shop.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

You could try using blue Vinyl instead of painting them. 

Very light coats of blue spray paint would probably work too. Once you take off the green coating from the logo, blue paint will cover the clear plastic very easily, so you can use a thin coat to do it. 

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

I don't know if it is indeed called lightbulb paint but it does exist.

Maybe LED paint? I don't know the right name either :D

Maybe look at your local rc store, sometimes they sell that. Or your local car mod shop.

ah ok haha glad im not the only one xD.
i was thinking that aswell but i was hoping to look like less of an idiot saying "hey can i get a paint that lets light through but looks blue n stuff" haha

Just now, nootnoot1277 said:

ah ok haha glad im not the only one xD.
i was thinking that aswell but i was hoping to look like less of an idiot saying "hey can i get a paint that lets light through but looks blue n stuff" haha

You might bump into an issue tho. It's already green, what i would do is get a blue marker and color the thing, should give you an idea of the result and you should be able to get rid of it quite easily.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You could try using blue Vinyl instead of painting them. 

Very light coats of blue spray paint would probably work too. Once you take off the green coating from the logo, blue paint will cover the clear plastic very easily, so you can use a thin coat to do it. 

you mean like a transparent vinyl.

Ah good idea, suppose i could give it a go and if it doesnt work ill just sand it back again and give it another go

Just now, samcool55 said:

You might bump into an issue tho. It's already green, what i would do is get a blue marker and color the thing, should give you an idea of the result and you should be able to get rid of it quite easily.

aha now that could definitely works

you mean like a transparent vinyl.

Ah good idea, suppose i could give it a go and if it doesnt work ill just sand it back again and give it another go

Yes, like car window tint vinyl, you can get it in a large range of colours. If you mess it up, you can just take it off rather than worrying about paint. 

Plastidip is likely the best one to use as it can be removed pretty easy. 

1 minute ago, nootnoot1277 said:

aha now that could definitely works

Just a blue sharpie on the clear plastic could work. Worst case scenario, you could leave it white, which fits with the theme better than green. 

Yes, like car window tint vinyl, you can get it in a large range of colours. If you mess it up, you can just take it off rather than worrying about paint. 

Plastidip is likely the best one to use as it can be removed pretty easy. 

i happen to know my local store has Plastidip so ill give it a try but do you think the led would actually shine through it?

i happen to know my local store has Plastidip so ill give it a try but do you think the led would actually shine through it?

It may do. Maybe try spraying some plastidip on a see through surface and put an LED behind it to see how light goes through it. A frosted piece of acrylic would probably be the best to use as it disperses light in a similar way to the logo material. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

It may do. Maybe try spraying some plastidip on a see through surface and put an LED behind it to see how light goes through it. A frosted piece of acrylic would probably be the best to use as it disperses light in a similar way to the logo material. 

yeah true true. my other idea was take the green off put that purple plasticy wrapping paper stuff on it (cant remember the name)

yeah true true. my other idea was take the green off put that purple plasticy wrapping paper stuff on it (cant remember the name)

If you can get Quality Street where you're from, you could use the wrapper from those :D It would basically do the same thing as translucent coloured vinyl. 

99447745_Quality_243132c_x2acan.jpg

If you can get Quality Street where you're from, you could use the wrapper from those :D It would basically do the same thing as translucent coloured vinyl. 

99447745_Quality_243132c_x2acan.jpg

aha sorry idk what that is but i get the idea of what you mean haha it could work

Just now, MVPernula said:

Googled around and stumbled across this:

I was considering this and your idea just now.

Man, that was three years ago? 

I still have those coolers around, though I never tried to paint the logo as I actually wanted it white. 

I still have those coolers around, though I never tried to paint the logo as I actually wanted it white. 

i was looking through the post and i was like Wait wtf isnt this the person im talking to about this now haha.

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Time flies.

Well if you have it.. Go for it? Never too late! :D

3 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Time flies.

Well if you have it.. Go for it? Never too late! :D

Well, they're in a box in the attic right now. The coolers got replaced with waterblocks. 

Well, they're in a box in the attic right now. The coolers got replaced with waterblocks. 

ah watercooling awesome, my only watercooled pc has 2 watercooled gtx 480's that i quite love even though their old. annoyingly that pc's board just killed its self

1 minute ago, nootnoot1277 said:

ah watercooling awesome, my only watercooled pc has 2 watercooled gtx 480's that i quite love even though their old. annoyingly that pc's board just killed its self

A lot of my final changes to the build were cosmetic or slight custom things as the hardware was there for a while. Watercooling was basically the final step. Did mean I had to hack up parts of the case and get rid of the PSU cover I made. 

Back on to the thread's topic: I would actually try a blue sharpie first and see how it works (maybe just try on one letter first to save removing more if it doesn't work. Should be fairly easy to clean off, without sanding again. 

4 minutes ago, nootnoot1277 said:

Man.. I have 2 460's laying around in my room.

Would be fun putting them in a loop.

Just now, MVPernula said:

Man.. I have 2 460's laying around in my room.

Would be fun putting them in a loop.

idk about the 460's but i know the 480's are actually still kickin pretty well like honestlyone 480 was still able to hold a solid 60 in gta v on mostly high settings