Plex & AMD Ryzen 1800x and FPS issues

40 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

I'm not 100% on what the background transcodes are actually doing, but I think they're converting any of your files that are less compatible with common players to a different format.  I remember my plex box had to run for a while when I first added my whole library to it.  If you only just recently added your plex library to your new machine, try leaving it on overnight to see if it still has the background transcoder running.

Plex doesnt do that, it transcodes on the fly when the file is accessed based on the Agent.

The high usage would have been scanning folders for metadata collection for library creation/updating.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

24 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Plex doesnt do that, it transcodes on the fly when the file is accessed based on the Agent.

The high usage would have been scanning folders for metadata collection for library creation/updating.

Was wrong on why it would be running, but the transcoder does do a bunch of stuff in the background:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201697383-Why-is-Plex-New-Transcoder-using-my-CPU-when-nothing-is-playing-

Since OP has a shitload of content, it would make sense for it to take a really long time to run through, especially if they've been stopping and starting the plex service.

We still have no idea why their CPU is only running at the low power state though.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

1 hour ago, Phate.exe said:

Was wrong on why it would be running, but the transcoder does do a bunch of stuff in the background:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201697383-Why-is-Plex-New-Transcoder-using-my-CPU-when-nothing-is-playing-

Since OP has a shitload of content, it would make sense for it to take a really long time to run through, especially if they've been stopping and starting the plex service.

We still have no idea why their CPU is only running at the low power state though.

and to be clear it runs plex amazing! My plex server has no issues. It games that i have issues with. Im noticing that plex transcoder just takes so much CPU usage for some reason as well and i did check and its always running in the background.

also boot times are out of control long.

2 hours ago, Phate.exe said:

3 hours ago, Jarsky said:

some photos to show you i was playing star marine and it was all over the place.

Desktop 05.02.2017 - 20.30.00.01.png

Desktop 05.02.2017 - 20.30.07.02.png

Desktop 05.02.2017 - 20.30.19.03.png

4 hours ago, HUSKER222 said:

yeah its new but i have had it for about a month now maybe whenever i joined this forum is how long i have had the ryzen for but i have 12 TB of files so maybe that is what it is. interesting i didnt think of that.

@Phate.exe

check the log files to confirm, you should see something, assuming plex is the culprit. Grab a copy of Windows performance recorder and windows performance analyser if you still can't see it and these will point you in the correct direction (you'd be surprised how many developers blame the computer when you can easily see their code is just garbage).

Basically, the issue looks like it is related to the CPU clocking at 2.2ghz, by the looks of things. What are the CPU temps when this is happening? Sure it's not thermal throttling?

Another thing to look at would be: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/227715247-Server-Settings-Bandwidth-and-Transcoding-Limits set a limit for the number of transcodes at the same time, might be related. Could also Set the processor affinity on the game and plex, give one of the core clusters (can't remeber what AMD calls them) to Mass Effect and the other to Plex?

2 minutes ago, Blake said:

check the log files to confirm, you should see something, assuming plex is the culprit. Grab a copy of Windows performance recorder and windows performance analyser if you still can't see it and these will point you in the correct direction (you'd be surprised how many developers blame the computer when you can easily see their code is just garbage).

Basically, the issue looks like it is related to the CPU clocking at 2.2ghz, by the looks of things. What are the CPU temps when this is happening? Sure it's not thermal throttling?

Another thing to look at would be: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/227715247-Server-Settings-Bandwidth-and-Transcoding-Limits set a limit for the number of transcodes at the same time, might be related. Could also Set the processor affinity on the game and plex, give one of the core clusters (can't remeber what AMD calls them) to Mass Effect and the other to Plex?

ok ill look at those, Ryzen Master has them about 40C but the bios reads 50C. I've seen it go as high as 60C but i was told that the bios isnt reporting proper temps and that Ryzen Master has the correct temps which under load says 40C. It only locks to 2.2 GHz sometimes. and other times its bouncing up and down.

I had a similar problem on my 5930K with 64gb Ram and a 980TI. Turned out that by fitting a 10GBe network card (i know not for everybody) it managed to sort itself out and haven't heard it quibble since. its just getting it setup. Oh and make sure that Plex is running from an SSD or NVMe. Will see rest of the system relax having no bottlenecks! 

"Stay Hungry... Stay Foolish" - Steve Jobs

On 5/10/2017 at 11:38 AM, ObiWanMonk said:

I had a similar problem on my 5930K with 64gb Ram and a 980TI. Turned out that by fitting a 10GBe network card (i know not for everybody) it managed to sort itself out and haven't heard it quibble since. its just getting it setup. Oh and make sure that Plex is running from an SSD or NVMe. Will see rest of the system relax having no bottlenecks! 

thats not the issue. Its totally not my internet that would cause an FPS issue it also wouldnt bottleneck the performance. What you're talking about might bottleneck my internet but plex runs great! its the FPS im having issues with in game. I do not know wtf the problem is but im thinking Ryzen not so good and not worth the money atleast not yet. I have trident z in there and the only thing i can think of now is that the trident z just isnt supported yet which is kinda bogus but ill try swapping ram next.