RX 580 4GB Vs 1060 3GB Vs 1060 6GB

Hello all,

I'm trying to decide if I should go with the Gigabyte Gaming 4G RX 580 4GB, the Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB, or EVGA SC Gaming GTX 1060 6GB. This is a system I'm going to be building at the end of the summer and it will have a Ryzen 5 1600 for a cpu. I plan a playing GTA V, DOOM, Skyrim Remastered, and Fallout 4, and Subnautic. I'm also going to be play League of Legends and CS:GO but I know any of these cards will smash that but I'm also plan on doing live recording/streaming. My budget is about $200-$215 but I'm really looking for a good performance to dollar ratio. Any thoughts and opinions would be great!

EDIT: I'm plan on playing at 1080p 60fps because I have a good enough 60 hz TN panel monitor I could use that I'm currently using as a second monitor to my laptop and I don't have the budget for a new monitor. At the most I would stay at 1080p and go up to 120 or 144 hz if there was a really good deal.

CPU: Ryzen 3 1200 @3.7GHz GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB ACX 2.0 Motherboard: ASRock AB350M
CPU Cooler: Wraith Cooler RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2933Mhz Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-ALPHA Blue PSU: Corsair VS 500
Displays: 2x HP 24ea Storage: Silicon Power 240 GB (OS+programs), Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM (Games) Keyboard: Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB w/ Cherry MX Speed switches Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

Right now the RX580 is top of the pack, hands down. With the re-release clock boosts and driver improvements it beats out the 1060 in all tasks save GTA V, in which it barely matches the Nvidia card. It's the one I would go for.

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

2 minutes ago, openthatchest said:

the 1060 6GB is the best one on the list. you could get a 580 8gb, and then upgrade later too.

I'm hoping to not have to upgrade for at least 2 years because $$$$

CPU: Ryzen 3 1200 @3.7GHz GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB ACX 2.0 Motherboard: ASRock AB350M
CPU Cooler: Wraith Cooler RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2933Mhz Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-ALPHA Blue PSU: Corsair VS 500
Displays: 2x HP 24ea Storage: Silicon Power 240 GB (OS+programs), Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM (Games) Keyboard: Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB w/ Cherry MX Speed switches Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

1 minute ago, drakedasnake said:

I'm hoping to not have to upgrade for at least 2 years because $$$$

tricky. approx. how much you make a month (estimate, avg.). I want to know so i can help better

2 minutes ago, Thorimus said:

Right now the RX580 is top of the pack, hands down. With the re-release clock boosts and driver improvements it beats out the 1060 in all tasks save GTA V, in which it barely matches the Nvidia card. It's the one I would go for.

sir, that's a 4gb

1 minute ago, openthatchest said:

sir, that's a 4gb

Your point is? It still performs better, GPU performance depends on far more than the amount of VRAM available. With that logic a GTX 1070 should perform the same as an RX580 8GB, which it obviously doesn't.

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

Just now, openthatchest said:

tricky. approx. how much you make a month (estimate, avg.). I want to know so i can help better

I'm in college and I only work in the summer and I live at home over the summer. I got paid like $3,800 last year so I expect the same if not more this next year and my parents pay for various things so my out of pocket expenses aren't too huge. Like gas, food, and girlfriend. lol

Your point is? It still performs better, GPU performance depends on far more than the amount of VRAM available. With that logic a GTX 1070 should perform the same as an RX580 8GB, which it obviously doesn't.

I agree with Thorimus here. The RX 580 4GB doesn't have less stream processors than the 8 GB unlike the GTX 1060 3 GB vs the 6 GB with the 3 GB having less CUDA cores. (CUDA cores are equivalent to stream processors, right?)

Just now, drakedasnake said:

I agree with Thorimus here. The RX 580 4GB doesn't have less stream processors than the 8 GB unlike the GTX 1060 3 GB vs the 6 GB with the 3 GB having less CUDA cores. (CUDA cores are equivalent to stream processors, right?)

Damn, I must be tired. I thought we were talking about the RX580 8GB. Either way, the 580 4GB will either match or outperform the 1060. If you'll be playing at over 1080p I'd recommend pushing for the 8GB model.

4 minutes ago, drakedasnake said:

(CUDA cores are equivalent to stream processors, right?)

They serve the same purpose, yes, but you can't compare the number of stream processors in one card to the number of CUDA cores in another, as the computational power per unit is different. Within the same manufacturer (AMD/Nvidia) and architecture (e.g. Polaris, Pascal) they are comparable, however, though I suspect you already knew that ;)

Damn, I must be tired. I thought we were talking about the RX580 8GB. Either way, the 580 4GB will either match or outperform the 1060. If you'll be playing at over 1080p I'd recommend pushing for the 8GB model.

They serve the same purpose, yes, but you can't compare the number of stream processors in one card to the number of CUDA cores in another, as the computational power per unit is different. Within the same manufacturer (AMD/Nvidia) and architecture (e.g. Polaris, Pascal) they are comparable, however, though I suspect you already knew that ;)

Ok, yeah. That makes sense. And I'll be playing at 1080p 60 fps. I can't afford a more expensive monitor than that. xD

28 minutes ago, drakedasnake said:

Hello all,

I'm trying to decide if I should go with the Gigabyte Gaming 4G RX 580 4GB, the Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB, or EVGA SC Gaming GTX 1060 6GB. This is a system I'm going to be building at the end of the summer and it will have a Ryzen 5 1600 for a cpu. I plan a playing GTA V, DOOM, Skyrim Remastered, and Fallout 4, and Subnautic. I'm also going to be play League of Legends and CS:GO but I know any of these cards will smash that but I'm also plan on doing live recording/streaming. My budget is about $200-$215 but I'm really looking for a good performance to dollar ratio. Any thoughts and opinions would be great!

I'd lean towards the 580 since freesync monitors aren't much more expensive to the non freesync monitors.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

5 hours ago, drakedasnake said:

I'm in college and I only work in the summer and I live at home over the summer. I got paid like $3,800 last year so I expect the same if not more this next year and my parents pay for various things so my out of pocket expenses aren't too huge. Like gas, food, and girlfriend. lol

4 hours ago, XenosTech said:

I'd lean towards the 580 since freesync monitors aren't much more expensive to the non freesync monitors.

4 hours ago, drakedasnake said:

Ok, yeah. That makes sense. And I'll be playing at 1080p 60 fps. I can't afford a more expensive monitor than that. xD

Then I would definitely go with the 580. it's got good preformance-to-dollar ratio, and it can run games very well.