Cheap rackmount case 3.5" bays

Just now, scottyseng said:

Curious, not a server IT person, but why can't you buy / take the servers you plan to throw out? Is there some kind of safety thing or whatever that prevents you from getting them?

That's a shame for those servers...I guess that's how datacenter stuff ends up on ebay.

Big corporate bullshit red tape of insanity. They are literally saying no to the take my money meme.

Well just ordered two of those Supermicro SC825TQ-563LPB, hope it wasn't a stupid idea lol.

Tell me what you want in specific's dude,  will be ex Auckland though. Have a hand full of supermicro boxes, 24 bay, 15 bay.

For personal stuff though, I am a fan of the Fractal Design Node 804,  Takes 8 HDD and 2 SSD's and can fit another two on the bottom of the case.

1 minute ago, Erkel said:

Tell me what you want in specific's dude,  will be ex Auckland though. Have a hand full of supermicro boxes, 24 bay, 15 bay.

For personal stuff though, I am a fan of the Fractal Design Node 804,  Takes 8 HDD and 2 SSD's and can fit another two on the bottom of the case.

Anything really, got 42U so space isn't a problem. Just needs to have standard I/O shield cut out not one of the proprietary models

16 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Well just ordered two of those Supermicro SC825TQ-563LPB, hope it wasn't a stupid idea lol.

:S  Was a bit slow to hit submit on my last post I guess.

Just now, Erkel said:

:S  Was a bit slow to hit submit on my last post I guess.

It's fine, I need more than just those two :)

17 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I've used the 825 chassis a heap and it's fairly easy to work with. They are quite noisy though, not from the PSU but from the fan row behind the drive cage. 

Just now, Windspeed36 said:

I've used the 825 chassis a heap and it's fairly easy to work with. They are quite noisy though, not from the PSU but from the fan row behind the drive cage. 

Yea those fans won't be staying or I'll put them on a custom fan controller to shut them up. Not a big deal since I have a room dedicated for my server crap that is well away from me.

27 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yea those fans won't be staying or I'll put them on a custom fan controller to shut them up. Not a big deal since I have a room dedicated for my server crap that is well away from me.

Oh to answer the earlier question of the 8x3.5, it's because they don't have a backplane with expander. It's simply 8 x SATA/SAS ports - if you try and do that with 12 bays, you end up needing a 4 port card or an expander. 

2 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Oh to answer the earlier question of the 8x3.5, it's because they don't have a backplane with expander. It's simply 8 x SATA/SAS ports - if you try and do that with 12 bays, you end up needing a 4 port card or an expander. 

The 15bay supermicro 3u boxes which datadomain were using as there computer and storage nodes, just used the 4 x SAS on the motherboard  to mini SAS connector to connect to the backplane,  ie it goes both ways,  They used Intel boards.   So something to try if you have SAS on board, rather than needing an expander card or mini-sas equipt card.