Ryzen 5 and RAM

Ok so I;ve become a tad confused here. I know the Infinity fabric between Ryzen CCX's is clocked at RAM speeds. I know this can have SOME effect in performance. My question is when considering Ryzen 5 for gaming is it likely to mean that I'll need a high sped set of Memory just to get decent 60+ FPS on most games or are we still really more worried about Core clock speed and performance and your GPU more than the memory? Much as I know about PCs AMD has seemingly tried to ensure it confuses people.

2 minutes ago, Tellos said:

Ok so I;ve become a tad confused here. I know the Infinity fabric between Ryzen CCX's is clocked at RAM speeds. I know this can have SOME effect in performance. My question is when considering Ryzen 5 for gaming is it likely to mean that I'll need a high sped set of Memory just to get decent 60+ FPS on most games or are we still really more worried about Core clock speed and performance and your GPU more than the memory? Much as I know about PCs AMD has seemingly tried to ensure it confuses people.

CPU clockspeed and GPU performance are much more important.

Because of this infinity fabric business RAM speeds on Ryzen have a slightly bigger effect on overall performance compared to Intel, but still it's in no way the most important thing.

Does you mum know you're here?

@VVoltor  my goal with any future build is to not use higher than maybe 2400 or 2633 or something Memory. I don't wanna sped time trying to overclock or fine tune my memory to maximize my CPU performance so much that it makes it easier to buy a different processor. I mean some people liek to I generally prefer to not fuck with my RAM wherever possible.

9 minutes ago, Tellos said:

It really depends on the programm, if the programm needs to talk between the CCX's then, faster RAM will benefit. If it doesn't use more than 4 cores (or 3/2 on Ryzen 5), then it won't benefit as much.

If you aren't into fiddling with the settings on your RAM, I'd buy the quickest I could. Games are jumping almost as fast as tech right now. 2 years ago games still ran great on 2 real + 2 virtual cores and 2 gigs of video memory. Now 4 real cores are struggling to keep up, and video memory has gone from 1-2 being more than adequate for most games to, I'd say minimum 4 now, as the 1060 is outperformed in every game against the 480 4gig, while still being 60/40 or 40/60 with the 6 gig against the 8 gig 480 depending who released the latest drivers.

Anyway, my point is, you are going to want the most out of your 8 cores, and if things keep moving like they are, you'll need the RAM to keep up. Who knows, you may actually like fiddling, as it is kinda addictive. Like building a PC. You start off nervous about switching RAM, to overly cautious when upgrading a cpu, to tossing a rig together in 15 minutes without a static bracelet on. Good Fun!

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

@crzyces ATM not decided on my next build. Currently got a ivy bridge CPU. Issue is not all motherboards support all speeds.

3 hours ago, Tellos said:

The infinity fabric and ram speeds give a significant boost to performance in most cases.

As per Linus' own video - go for some cheap 2666mhz ram. the money charged for faster ram is better spent on a better CPU in general. Don't go chasing FPS with RAM if there is a CPU/GPU upgrade within reach for similar money.

Personally I cant recommend any of the 4-core Ryzen CPU's - they just are not cheap enough. The r5 1600 and the r7 1700 are the true champions of Ryzen. 

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.