Windows 8 ultrabook for school

evctn12

Hello everyone!

I am looking for a windows 8 ultrabook for mainly school use (notes etc.). I was thinking of the Lenovo yoga 13 or acer s7. Has anyone had any experiences with these ultrabooks or does anyone have any other suggestions.

As far as ultra books go I can only recommend one- The Samsung Series 9. It ticks all the boxes and is a true beast.

That being said I am a long time Mac user and I am trained in mack repair. Having seen what has happened first hand from giving an entire high school laptops and fixing the damage that can happen to them I Feel The Ultimate Ultra Book is not a windows pc but a Mac.

All the ultra books currently on the us market today are either made from plastic or cast aluminum. This is not the best design. They are not the strongest. We all know why plastic is not a good choice. The samsung series 9 uses a cast aluminum shell and a plastic keyboard. Any Apple MacBook product weather it is a air, macbook pro, or finally the retina display macbook pro are made from forged aluminum. This is important. Cast metals crack because they are brittle. Forged metals bend and stretch and most times retune to their shape after a impact. Another plus for the MacBook line is that they have a metal keyboard. This way if you drop something on it while open it will be more durable then any other ultra book.

When you bring cost back into the situation all MacBooks cost less then the price of a series 9 with the same processor and hardware.

Apple products are known for their hardware and quality, even if other brands manufacture it for them.

If you want the best ultra book, buy a new Mac laptop and put Windows on it.

I'd go with the lenovo X1C touch if I had to buy one now. I'm waiting for thunderbolt support and better screen quality though.

As far as ultra books go I can only recommend one- The Samsung Series 9. It ticks all the boxes and is a true beast. That being said I am a long time Mac user and I am trained in mack repair. Having seen what has happened first hand from giving an entire high school laptops and fixing the damage that can happen to them I Feel The Ultimate Ultra Book is not a windows pc but a Mac. All the ultra books currently on the us market today are either made from plastic or cast aluminum. This is not the best design. They are not the strongest. We all know why plastic is not a good choice. The samsung series 9 uses a cast aluminum shell and a plastic keyboard. Any Apple MacBook product weather it is a air' date=' macbook pro, or finally the retina display macbook pro are made from forged aluminum. This is important. Cast metals crack because they are brittle. Forged metals bend and stretch and most times retune to their shape after a impact. Another plus for the MacBook line is that they have a metal keyboard. This way if you drop something on it while open it will be more durable then any other ultra book. When you bring cost back into the situation all MacBooks cost less then the price of a series 9 with the same processor and hardware. Apple products are known for their hardware and quality, even if other brands manufacture it for them. If you want the best ultra book, buy a new Mac laptop and put Windows on it. [/quote']

Plastic not a good choice? IBM Thinkpads from the 1990's are still around.

And actually, the unibody of a Macbook is CNC machined out of a single piece of aluminium, not forged. Still strong nonetheless.

Casting is not inherently bad. Though I agree gravity die casting leaves a bit to be desired, pressure die casting often creates very strong products.

I agree though that the Macbook Air is not a bad ultraportable at all, a viable choice if you like OSX.

OP: Use a pen and paper. No seriously. I find using a laptop for notes irritating and it often takes your concentration away.

That said, all the good laptops have already been mentioned in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Salmiakbal. For taking notes at school, pencil and paper is just so much better than trying to type. When I first went to college, I kept telling myself that I would take my laptop to take notes on. But all throughout engineering school, I never once needed to. Most of my professors would post their lecture notes online before class so I could just print them out and make my notes directly on their presentation. This worked out much better than a friend of mine who insisted on using his laptop to take notes. He had to borrow my notes to finish taking his.

But having a laptop/ultrabook is a good idea for group presentation work. I would never take my laptop because it was a freaking heavy brick of a laptop. But if I were to go back to school, any lightweight ultrabook with a really good battery life would probably work well.