Windows 10 not activating.

ethandeguire

Jeez, windows 10 activation is so buggy...

So I upgraded my motherboard, cpu, and ram recently and went through the activation process in troubleshooter, which resulted in windows 10 being activated on my pc, I even changed the background and everything.

Then today when I log on I find the "Activate Windows" overlay on my desktop, but i still have my desktop backround.

In activation I find that windows "thinks" that I do not have a valid copy of windows, shown here -

windowsactiv.png.dda3297e38b41bee1886ddf4588eb5e5.png

So I google the error, which brings me to this page - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10738/windows-10-get-help-with-activation-errors?errorCode=0x803f7001&productId=Microsoft-Windows-Activation - which tells me to use the troublshooter, which I do -

windowstrouble.png.583c96bf66d4f81928bf1746d9faa19d.png

I HAVE WINDOWS!!! 

When I click "I changed hardware [blah blah blah]" It has me log in to skype, then shows this - 

windowsunable.png.ac9f8a64da997b4a31bb057dd6c51e1e.png

So, I wait a few minutes to find this -

windowshelp.thumb.png.0044890f9eaebdbb4b0a588ce82776af.png

After this didn't work I tried re-typing in my product key.

windowscouldnt.png.0a00cc25f63b133364d3679c93077966.png

So! Am I screwed? What do I do? Help Appreciated! Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

R5 1600, Asus Prime B350, 16gb corsair vengeance, nzxt s340, gigabyte gtx 1060, cryorig h7, 256gb adata su800. More in Link.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RC4KQV

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

question:

Is your key for Windows 10 OEM?

If it is OEM, and it was activated on the old motherboard, you are REQUIRED to purchase a new W10 key for new hardware (motherboard).

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

question:

Is your key for Windows 10 OEM?

If it is OEM, and it was activated on the old motherboard, you are REQUIRED to purchase a new W10 key for new hardware (motherboard).

i thought that might happen, but why did it let me change my backround before doing this????

R5 1600, Asus Prime B350, 16gb corsair vengeance, nzxt s340, gigabyte gtx 1060, cryorig h7, 256gb adata su800. More in Link.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RC4KQV

login to your Microsoft account

i believe you NEED to buy a new product key (/r/microsoftwareswap is good) when you upgrade your motherboard (for example, going from Z97 to Z270, the exception is going from Z87 to Z97 or something like that)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, ethandeguire said:

i thought that might happen, but why did it let me change my backround before doing this????

I have no idea. benefit of doubt before it could check in with the activation servers?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

16 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

I have no idea. benefit of doubt before it could check in with the activation servers?

Call Microsoft and explain your situation. After I swapped my board (I did the upgrade from Win7), my key became obsolete as well. I gave Microsoft a call and after being transferred a couple times, I explained my problem to the tech on the other end. He was sympathetic and said that this happens a lot, fiddled around on his end and gave me a new key. Not sure if it's standard practice for Microsoft employees but he just gave me a new one. Worth a shot at least so you don't drop a hundred plus dollars on a 'genuine' copy.

Windows is working as expected. I see no bugs.

I seems like you have acquired a OEM license of Windows, and therefore can't be transferred from one system to another. It determine that by locking itself to the motherboard the first time it is installed/activated. Only Retail licenses are transferable (hence you pay a bit more for this privilege (and 90day support and box). As you changed your motherboard, in your system upgrade, you sadly need to acquire yourself a new license of Windows.