GTX 980 Reference cooler replacement

computerNewbie

Hey guys so I'm starting to notice my card aging so I started overclocking it. Sadly, it reaches thermal throttle speeds really easily :(

I've thought about watercooling it with an AIO and an NZXT G10 but that would make me spend about $120CAD cause I dont have a spare AIO lying around and I don't think it's worth it.

I've come across the Arctic Accelero Mono Plus, only about $60CAD. Did some research and it doesn't officially support the GTX980. I saw some people do it on non-officially-supported cards like a 1070/1060 but couldn't find any for the 980.

I looked up the specs and it supports up to 200Watts. Since the 980 is a 165W TDP card, should it be able o handle it?

Am I missing something? Should I be worried about the VRMs and VRAMs not being cooled enough if I do this? It comes with mini heatsinks aswell so I thought I could use those.

It's a reference ASUS gtx980 if that helps.

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, computerNewbie said:

I've thought about watercooling it with an AIO and an NZXT G10 but that would make me spend about $120CAD cause I dont have a spare AIO lying around and I don't think it's worth it.

Thanks!

i did that last week...killed my GTX 980ti installing it...but it would have been EPIC...it's absolutely worth it if you take your time and don't strip out tiny little screws and have to pierce through them with a drill and shit and scratch the PCB on a memory trace...then...your card will top out at 55c...esepecially a small 980 chip like that...maybe even 50c and it'll be dead quiet.

about the big ass air cooling heatsink...i would spend a bit more for a kraken...it will fit any graphics cards you might buy in the future as well...just take care, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT tiny little phillips head screwdriver so you won't strip any screws and end up in a mess like i did.

Where you at in canada BTW? montreal? cause i happen to have a corsair H55 i bought last week that i don't need since i killed the card it was supposed to go on...i'm selling it for 70$ i have the receipt it's brand new.

...unfortunately, the kraken is sold already i got my 40$ back for that.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i did that last week...killed my GTX 980ti installing it...but it would have been EPIC...it's absolutely worth it if you take your time and don't strip out tiny little screws and have to pierce through them with a drill and shit and scratch the PCB on a memory trace...then...your card will top out at 55c...esepecially a small 980 chip like that...maybe even 50c and it'll be dead quiet.

about the big ass air cooling heatsink...i would spend a bit more for a kraken...it will fit any graphics cards you might buy in the future as well...just take care, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT tiny little phillips head screwdriver so you won't strip any screws and end up in a mess like i did.

damn you just scared me, sounds fun! LOL

Thats true, just not willing to spend that much right now. I'll definitely think about it tho. And thanks for the philips screwdriver tip!

Just now, computerNewbie said:

damn you just scared me, sounds fun! LOL

Thats true, just not willing to spend that much right now. I'll definitely think about it tho. And thanks for the philips screwdriver tip!

if you take it slow and have the right tool for those stupid small screws you'll do just fine...

thing is i replaced the thermal paste on my card a couple times, and overtighten some screws, then i had issues taken two of them out...ended up stripping some, use pliers and drill to take them out...scratched the card...killed the card.

if no such thing happen (and it won't thanks to my tip :P ) you'll do juste fine!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

if you take it slow and have the right tool for those stupid small screws you'll do just fine...

thing is i replaced the thermal paste on my card a couple times, and overtighten some screws, then i had issues taken two of them out...ended up stripping some, use pliers and drill to take them out...scratched the card...killed the card.

if no such thing happen (and it won't thanks to my tip :P ) you'll do juste fine!

LOL definitely.

And sadly I'm in Toronto :(