Running a Pentium II with no cooler... I know, it's stupid :P

Hey,

I'm trying to demonstrate for a friend of mine on how easy and cheap it can be to play retro games on the $10 PC I got from a yard sale.. I realized why it was only 10 bucks, because there was no CPU that came with system (along with a hoard of other reasons), but I don't care about that. My questions are, what should I expect if I ran this PC for about an hour without one? Is it safe? (I don't care about the hardware failing, I just want to run a few games on it, then I'm going to trash it afterward). What are the temps going to be like if I ran it without one?

Aspiring IT technician... The AF is getting in the way. Poet and PC enthusiast (of a lower caliber, so-to say) :)

2 minutes ago, PCn00b3000 said:

Hey,

I'm trying to demonstrate for a friend of mine on how easy and cheap it can be to play retro games on the $10 PC I got from a yard sale.. I realized why it was only 10 bucks, because there was no CPU that came with system (along with a hoard of other reasons), but I don't care about that. My questions are, what should I expect if I ran this PC for about an hour without one? Is it safe? (I don't care about the hardware failing, I just want to run a few games on it, then I'm going to trash it afterward). What are the temps going to be like if I ran it without one?

You meant CPU cooler, right? Because if you PC has no CPU inside it won't start up. If there's no CPU cooler then your PC might overheat and get fried. Even after 30 minutes. So you won't know when it'll pass out. And no, it is not safe at all. 

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

4 minutes ago, PCn00b3000 said:

Hey,

Good luck getting it to last a minute let alone an hour.

You need a heatsink or the chip will just shut down from over temperature.

EDIT: Watch this

5 minutes ago, PCn00b3000 said:

Hey,

It will shut down within 1 minute or less

I thought as much.. I have a cooler, but the connectors don't match. There are standoffs on the motherboard, but with the extra LGA 775 cooler I DO have, it has the "push-style" pins, like on the Intel stock coolers. I was hoping for a work around, but there doesn't seem to be one. I suppose I'll wait and see

Aspiring IT technician... The AF is getting in the way. Poet and PC enthusiast (of a lower caliber, so-to say) :)

It will be shut down within a minute. With a simple passive cooler it could last longer and maybe not shutdown due to overheating at all, but goodluck without any kind of dissipation xD

you can get cheap used colers for it, but if you really dont want to, you can use an empty can and do it redneck style haha

Alright everyone... I actually got the other one to fit pretty firmly on the CPU. I took the pins off the ends and founds screws that both fit inside the standoffs, and where the heads were wide enough to hold the arms of the cooler down... That actually worked :P I'm about to turn it on and immediately head into the BIOS and let it sit for a minute