Bad fan bearing

After all I went through with microcenter, I ended up getting this hp pavilion refurbished unit. Now I am having problems with the fan right out of the box being obnoxiously loud, almost like it's grinding on something. Must be bad bearings on the fan, but it causes the whole laptop to vibrate. I can't bring it in for repairs because god knows how long that will take and I have a trip to go on next week and I need it then. Do you think the fan will be fine with bad bearings for 2 weeks? It was like this out of the box, is there a temporary fix I can try (preferably without removing the entire fan) that will help reduce the noise until I have time to bring it in? 

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

Your best and really only recourse is to take it back. If a fan bearing is going, it is likely not going to last very long as you will run into overheating issues very quickly and the machine will be unusable. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

15 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Your best and really only recourse is to take it back. If a fan bearing is going, it is likely not going to last very long as you will run into overheating issues very quickly and the machine will be unusable. 

Do you think it will be okay until I'm back from my trip on the 25th? 

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

Just now, Sentryy said:

Do you think it will be okay until I'm back from my trip on the 25th? 

No I dont. Generally laptops have 1, maybe 2 fans in them that run the heatsink for the CPU and/or the GPU. If one of those dies... then there will be no way to move the air and it will overheat and either destroy the components, or shut down due to thermal protections and cause it to be unusable for you during the trip. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

No I dont. Generally laptops have 1, maybe 2 fans in them that run the heatsink for the CPU and/or the GPU. If one of those dies... then there will be no way to move the air and it will overheat and either destroy the components, or shut down due to thermal protections and cause it to be unusable for you during the trip. 

Should I just bring it back and ask for an exchange? 

That would be the smart idea. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

5 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Thanks, going to go in tomorrow. Any other suggestions? 

9 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

Should I just bring it back and ask for an exchange? 

Most definitely. A single ounce of thermal 'issues' detected by the laptop could render the system unusable, as it will do so to prevent further damage unless the issue is detected resolved.  maximum an hour or two to replace a fan of such if spare is on hand.

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

3 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Most definitely. A single ounce of thermal 'issues' detected by the laptop could render the system unusable, as it will do so to prevent further damage unless the issue is detected resolved.  maximum an hour or two to replace a fan of such if spare is on hand.

I am going to ask for an exchange, I hope they moved the warranty I paid $80 for over as well. I think their policy is they can give a refund on the warranty if it's been less than 15 days. Which it has been only 4 days.

On 4/12/2017 at 9:11 PM, EnergyEclipse said:

On 4/12/2017 at 9:03 PM, legacy99 said:

Thanks, exchanged for a flex 4 with a 6200u, 256ssd, and an m430 (wayyy better than hd620) 

They sold all 13 of the HP pavilions in 5 days lol (good deal?)