GPU Bios Flashing

A few months back I recieved an AMD R9 270 (Twin Frozer edition by MSI) for free from a friend. He said it fried itself to death from heat. The card didn't let any computer POST, and if it did by some chance the screen would go purple and the PC would crash. He told me if I could get it working then I could keep it. He apparently forgot that the warranty was still in effect. So I sent the card to MSI to be fixed. After receiving the card back, I put it in mothers PC. I did this because it was the best performing card that I didn't need, it was free, and it let her use multiple 1080p monitors. However, this all changed about a month after the warranty expired. (Thanks MSI). The issues this time around were different. The card lets every PC I've tested to POST, go into the BIOS, and attempt to boot an OS. However, the PC fails to boot Windows 7, 10, CentOS, Ubuntu, and FreeBSD.

For example, the Windows boot screen will appear to be working just fine, then suddenly it will go black, show some HDD activity for about 15 seconds, then stop or reboot. These symptoms happen on all of the many other OSes and PCs I've tested. There was one occasion where I got the card to boot into windows 10 and work for a solid 15 minutes. However, the moment I attempted to install the graphics driver, the system black screened, showed some disc activity for 15 seconds, then stopped. I haven't been able to replicate this again.

I believe that the problem has something to do with drivers. I read somewhere that this could be fixed by reflashing the BIOS of the card. Which I am brave (or stupid) enough to do.

Now I know that some of you are going to ask, "why not just buy a new card?". Well wise guy, maybe I don't want to spend any money on a GTX 1050 (that just happens to be on sale for $99), if I don't have to. Additionally, used cards that suit my needs are way too expensive or hard to find on Ebay.

The temporary card that I am using in my mothers PC is a Geforce 210. This P.O.S. slows down pretty much everything, sounds like a leaf blower/chainsaw hybrid, has a fan that doesn't shut off when the system is set to sleep, can't connect the two displays that I have because it doesn't have display port., and somehow manages to run very hot at idle. So if it is possible to fix the R9 270, it would be pretty nice.

Any tips, tricks, or ideas to help me fix this?

i've got the exact same problem with a gtx 560ti (also from MSI).

reflashing the bios didn't work:(

Just now, Bob116 said:

i've got the exact same problem with a gtx 560ti (also from MSI)

Yea, I think MSI's technicians are a bunch of monkeys with soldering irons. I just love how they send back a working card until the warranty expires.

i think the problems are the results of my oc. i was pushing it to 1000mhz. it failed at the same time as my mobo bios.(2 dead ram slots, dead onboard audio and no working igpu