Games running very poorly

fastcar123

Hey guys,

I'm a bit stumped. I have 3 games specifically that have been running like complete garbage here lately. I want to figure out if it's some kind of software that I have that is conflicting, or a hardware issue. 

The three games that I am having issues with are Skyrim SE, Forza Horizon 3, and Heroes of the Storm.

--Skyrim: As I play the game, I start noticing these black squares develop. They will expand to a certain point and then stop. If I look around in game, it just drags the squares across my screen creating huge black lines that resume expanding. If I am unable to look away from the lines as they drag across my screen, the game is doomed to become completely blacked. Once that happens, there's no way to reverse the effect. opening the map or any of the UI works fine though. The problem occurs outside mostly, especially looking over valleys. This problem gets progressively harder to avoid the longer I play.

--Forza Horizon 3: This game will work decently until I enter the open world. Doing this causes artifacts to be seen on screen. These are annoying but livable. The problem is that anytime there is a cutscene, immediately afterwards, the game crashes to desktop without saving my progress.

--Heroes of the Storm: This game has major artifacts throughout the entire game. Entering a match increases the effect. The artifacts could be anywhere from the occasional bright line across the screen, to an entire edge of the screen tearing off. This is very distracting through a match.

I have had this problem consistently for a long time both on my old system and my new one.

During a heavy load while playing, I will have Microsoft edge (about 30+ tabs), firefox (about 20+ tabs), 5 instances of sticky notes, Pandora desktop app, NZXT cam (controls my hue+ so I hope this isn't the issue), And then a game.

I am also rocking a triple monitor setup, with my center monitor upscaling from 1080p to 1440p.

My last computer:

-fx-8320E OC@ 4.3Ghz (stock 3.2GHz) cooled with a Dark Rock TF

-asus gaming aura 970 mobo

-16GB DDR3 RAM @1887MHz

-CX750 PSU

-Sapphire Nitro+ RX-480 8GB OC@1445MHz (stock 1370MHz)

My current computer:

-Ryzen 7 1700 OC @3.9GHz (stock 3.0GHz) cooled with a Dark Rock TF

-MSI Tomahawk B350 Mobo

-16GB DDR4 RAM OC@2667MHz (stock 2400MHz)

-CX750 PSU

-Sapphire Nitro+ RX-480 8GB OC@1445MHz (stock 1370MHz)

Note that I reused the same PSU, cooler, and graphics card from my previous build.

Also note that the old system is now equipped with 2 R7 360 graphics cards in crossfire and a 450W PSU and is running as my girlfriends computer, which doesn't experience any of these issues

All my other games seem to work fine.

I have all my games maxed out, though I have tried lowering the graphics all the way down. I found that reducing shadows as much as possible helps the most, but doesn't fully resolve the problem.

I have tried removing the overclocks, resetting BIOS, switching BIOS on my graphics card (it has the dual BIOS switch), with little to no effect.

I have even tried underclocking everything, which made everything run like a turd and still have the problem.

I have tried running the PC in safe mode, but skyrim was the only one that didn't need an internet connection. Even then, I had saved all my files to the cloud and had no way to test without starting a new game, which I did not try.

I reinstalled all 3 games quite a few times, and none of them are modded. (mods only accelerated the issue in skyrim).

I have of course tried running the games with only Cam software and steam running in the background, to no avail.

I am at a loss. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. I need any help I can get.

Thanks in advance.

It could be your GPU acting funky, swap it out for one of your girlfriend's R7 360 and see if the same artifacting happens. If so, try to RMA the card under the warranty.

Just now, infered5 said:

It could be your GPU acting funky, swap it out for one of your girlfriend's R7 360 and see if the same artifacting happens. If so, try to RMA the card under the warranty.

Yea, I really don't want that to be the problem. but it very well could be. I never registered the card with Sapphire. You think I still have a warranty? it was bough less than a year ago. right about the time they hit the shelves (August was it?)

3 minutes ago, fastcar123 said:

Yea, I really don't want that to be the problem. but it very well could be. I never registered the card with Sapphire. You think I still have a warranty? it was bough less than a year ago. right about the time they hit the shelves (August was it?)

You can register your card any time within the Warranty as long as you still have the box and serial number. The serial number may be on a sticker on the card itself or on a piece of documentation inside the box.

I actually don't know for sure because I never registered my GPU either.

I agree with the card. failing memory maybe.

try lowering the gpu speed and the cards ram speed a little to see if it helps.

and I gotta say........... all those apps open, c'mon............ 16gigs of system ram enough for that? try shutting them down to see how things go.

maybe the strain is killing the cpu too? ever maintain it?

24 minutes ago, infered5 said:

You can register your card any time within the Warranty as long as you still have the box and serial number. The serial number may be on a sticker on the card itself or on a piece of documentation inside the box.

I actually don't know for sure because I never registered my GPU either.

Yea... just plugged in one of my first gpus. a GT730. Awful frame rate, but fixed all the issues... Damn

12 minutes ago, LabRat said:

I agree with the card. failing memory maybe.

try lowering the gpu speed and the cards ram speed a little to see if it helps.

and I gotta say........... all those apps open, c'mon............ 16gigs of system ram enough for that? try shutting them down to see how things go.

maybe the strain is killing the cpu too? ever maintain it?

yea I shut it down every night. Those apps aren't always running, there's just times where they are.