Better Gaming Headset than Philips SHP9500 + V-MODA BoomPro?

Awakening

I've been recommending the Philips SHP9500 + V-MODA BoomPro combo to everyone looking for a gaming headset under $90. Does anyone know of a better alternative or am I justified in my suggestion to people?

I used the SHP9500 for gaming, superb at the price point. Haven't heard any gaming headset coming close to it especially in the same price point.

HyperX Cloud core / cloud 1, is an alternative, better than most gaming headsets out there but still shp9500 is better than it..

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

6 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

I used the SHP9500 for gaming, superb at the price point. Haven't heard any gaming headset coming close to it especially in the same price point.

HyperX Cloud core / cloud 1, is an alternative, better than most gaming headsets out there but still shp9500 is better than it..

Yep. Those are exactly my thoughts. 

I use the SHP 9500 with a modmic 4.0  At least I did until my infant son pulled the mic loose and used it as a pacifier, now I'm looking for a replacement

36 minutes ago, Dingus said:

I use the SHP 9500 with a modmic 4.0  At least I did until my infant son pulled the mic loose and used it as a pacifier, now I'm looking for a replacement

Aha, that sucks. Pretty expensive pacifier..

Unless you want to consider a clip-on mic (1, 2), the V-Moda BoomPro and ModMic are the only options I've seen for the way they integrate into the headset.

1 minute ago, Awakening said:

Aha, that sucks. Pretty expensive pacifier..

Unless you want to consider a clip-on mic (1, 2), the V-Moda BoomPro and ModMic are the only options I've seen for the way they integrate into the headset.

It still works-ish. I did have to wring out the pop filter when I took it away from him. Now I just have to have the mic resting against my face just below my mouth in order for me to be heard

4 minutes ago, Dingus said:

It still works-ish. I did have to wring out the pop filter when I took it away from him. Now I just have to have the mic resting against my face just below my mouth in order for me to be heard

You could try submerging it in a bag of rice overnight or even for a few days. Might be some moisture left inside and getting rid of it might completely fix it.

I'm pretty sure our warranty does not cover baby-ingestion, full or partial - however you should reach out to our customer service anyway. They may have some troubleshooting ideas on what has caused it to.... well, go crappy. It really could be the baby mouth liquid, in which case the rice may help. Not really sure our team will have any actual better suggestion, but we're always happy to help (and I am sure it will make the CS team giggle).

As for the under 90 setup I really do think the the Superlux 668 + Replacement earpads (Brainwavz) + ModMic is an equally interesting option. Requires a bit more work of course, but it's pretty amazing.

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys! Is the Philips SHP9500s with V-Moda Boompro Mic better or at least same level that the Sennheiser Game One? I will use the headsets with the Astro Mixamp PRO TR mainly for FPS on both PS4 and PC, and a little bit of music and movies.  Thanks for your responses.