FreeNAS backup files when changed

Keudn

I am looking into building myself a NAS and I have a question about FreeNAS, does it allow you to configure it to backup everything you specify and then whenever a file is updated backup that latest version? I intend on using this for my important files that don't need nightly backups since they aren't updated terribly often. I would rather back them all up and then let it sit and only backup newer versions of those files. Is FreeNAS capable of this? If not, what NAS software can?

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

What are you backing up?

Most programs like rsync, windows backup that is built in, veeam and others will only backed files that have been changed.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are you backing up?

Most programs like rsync, windows backup that is built in, veeam and others will only backed files that have been changed.

I am mainly starting to want a NAS because my laptop is acting up and since I use it for college notes I should probably back it up somewhere. Besides that I also want to backup my desktop's documents, music, desktop files, etc. My storage hard drives with game installs will be left alone since those can be re downloaded, but essentially I want my whole boot drives on my desktop and laptop.

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

12 minutes ago, Keudn said:

I am mainly starting to want a NAS because my laptop is acting up and since I use it for college notes I should probably back it up somewhere. Besides that I also want to backup my desktop's documents, music, desktop files, etc. My storage hard drives with game installs will be left alone since those can be re downloaded, but essentially I want my whole boot drives on my desktop and laptop.

Just use the backup built into windows this(or rsync in linux/osx) and point it to the nas.

Just use the backup built into windows this(or rsync in linux/osx) and point it to the nas.

Do I need FreeNAS then or could I just use any old windows computer?

Just now, Keudn said:

Do I need FreeNAS then or could I just use any old windows computer?

you could use any computer. If you just want a basic nas, id get something like this from synology.https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Station-Diskless-Attached-DS416j/dp/B019ZUR5WQ?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B019ZUR5WQ

I have a cheap little Core 2 Duo machine, I'll probably just grab some decent hard drives and put FreeNAS on it

You do realise a NAS is essentially storage and in itself does not "backup" from one location to another? You use separate software to do that, as @Electronics Wizardy says. 

If you really want to run FreeNAS, why not just store the files on the FreeNAS itself using CIFS/SMB shares then use Snapshots to back it up? Saves the need for using piece of software. Of course you should backup everything critical elsewhere also.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications