Cheap Server Build

Hey guys,

I need a file server, which has a similar purpose to Linus' Home Server, but not as pricey.

Currently I am using my old Dell Latitude D630 Laptop 4GB Ram win7 Pro 32x with an external 1TB Seagate expansion drive.

I don't want to buy a prebuilt one as they cant be easily upgraded plus I want to build it to make sure it all works. I preferably want it to be less than £350 but I can go over a bit.

Hope you guys can help me out.

Many Thanks,

Chris

Could you provide some more information? It this going to just be for files, or would you want it to be able to handle something like Plex and be able to transcode video too? Also, does that £350 budget include drives?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Supermicro-6016T-MTLF-2-x-L5640-Six-Core-2-26Ghz-16GB-1TB-Rails-X8DTL-iF-/371445713011?hash=item567be3c873:g:qPcAAOSwnHZYeM52

£280, gives you 24 cores, 16Gb RAM, Raid card & a 1TB HDD to start.

With the remaining money, pick up an ATX case (1U chassis are bloody noisey) a couple of fans, and a couple of cheap WD Green drives. 

I've made several similar, all I can say is, they work well, can be good to game on (with an overclock), great for rendering, and great for virtualisation. Do your research, and talk to others that have experience and you'll be fine!

On 03/04/2017 at 3:27 PM, jacobhall said:

Could you provide some more information? It this going to just be for files, or would you want it to be able to handle something like Plex and be able to transcode video too? Also, does that £350 budget include drives?

It will be for files and plex and the budget does not need to include the file server drives

On 03/04/2017 at 4:09 PM, Griefa said:

talk to others that have experience and you'll be fine!

That is why I ask you guys as I know you guys help