DAC AMP OR SOUND CARD?

Aleks NE
Go to solution Solved by Schakal_No1,
Just now, <Aleks> said:

But would kill the distortion? 

yes. If you get any at least midrange DAC (50$ and up) I would be pretty surprised if you get any distortion after that.

I have a Logitech 5.1 Speaker set up, my Asus onboard audio distorts the sound a bit, I need something to stop the distortion but i don't know what to get. Please help. 

Thanks in advance. 

Aren't both pretty much the same thing, in different form factors. Both consist of a DAC(digital to analog converter) and an amplifier, which will pretty much replace the onboard audio. 

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

DAC and amp

1 minute ago, Shubham Yadav said:

Aren't both pretty much the same thing, in different form factors. Both consist of a DAC(digital to analog converter) and an amplifier, which will pretty much replace the onboard audio. 

To be honest, i dont know, i watched  a video on it but still dont know what to get. 

Just now, IAmLamp said:

DAC and amp

Any brand or combo recommendation? 

3 hours ago, <Aleks> said:

Any brand or combo recommendation? 

Nope. That's all I know that people go for these days. Here's a video to follow. 

Problem with DAC is, that it will be quite pricey to get a 5.1 capable DAC, in sound cards it is more typical to find this feature. DAC is far superior dealing with distortion since it is located outside of your PC.

Just now, IAmLamp said:

Nope. That's all I know that people go for these days. Here's a video to follow. 

I've seen the video, just don't know what to get. 

I'm 99% sure that the "distortion" you might be hearing is possibly the speakers themselves.

1 minute ago, Schakal_No1 said:

Problem with DAC is, that it will be quite pricey to get a 5.1 capable DAC, in sound cards it is more typical to find this feature. DAC is far superior dealing with distortion since it is located outside of your PC.

What about a DAC that uses normal 3.5mm? Would that help? I have a 5.1 channel and AUX input.

Just now, Kloaked said:

I'm 99% sure that the "distortion" you might be hearing is possibly the speakers themselves.

But it only happens with my PC my laptop, phone, and tablet are all fine.

Just now, <Aleks> said:

What about a DAC that uses normal 3.5mm? Would that help? I have a 5.1 channel and AUX input.

with that AUX input you wont get any 5.1 signal. Maybe it will output sound from all boxes but it will actually only be stereo.

Just now, Schakal_No1 said:

with that AUX input you wont get any 5.1 signal. Maybe it will output sound from all boxes but it will actually only be stereo.

Just now, <Aleks> said:

yes. If you get any at least midrange DAC (50$ and up) I would be pretty surprised if you get any distortion after that.

Just now, Schakal_No1 said:

Is the any specific brands you'd recommend? 

1 minute ago, <Aleks> said:

Is the any specific brands you'd recommend? 

I do not own one personally but the Fiio E10K seems to be priced quite reasonable at 75$ and I heard a lot of positive things about it.

Which Logitech 5.1 speaker setup do you use by the way? Mine has an optical digital input, when using this it could also solve your problem.

1 minute ago, Schakal_No1 said:

I do not own one personally but the Fiio E10K seems to be priced quite reasonable at 75$ and I heard a lot of positive things about it.

Which Logitech 5.1 speaker setup do you use by the way? Mine has an optical digital input, when using this it could also solve your problem.

This one https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/surround-sound-speakers-z506?crid=1588

26 minutes ago, <Aleks> said:

But it only happens with my PC my laptop, phone, and tablet are all fine.

What motherboard specifically?

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

What motherboard specifically?

Asus M5A970 LE R2.0 AM3+ 

6 minutes ago, <Aleks> said:

Asus M5A970 LE R2.0 AM3+ 

Do you have any special EQ or something turned on in Asus' software?

Just now, Kloaked said:

Do you have any special EQ or something turned on in Asus' software?

No

8 minutes ago, <Aleks> said:

Asus M5A970 LE R2.0 AM3+ 

That could absolutely be the cheap motherboard. That is why some motherboards have "high quality shielded japanese conductors" etc. The distortion you get is from static build up on the motherboard and having an effect on the build in dac. If you transfer the digital signal to an outside dac, you can get rid of the problem.

7 minutes ago, Schakal_No1 said:

That could absolutely be the cheap motherboard. That is why some motherboards have "high quality shielded japanese conductors" etc. The distortion you get is from static build up on the motherboard and having an effect on the build in dac. If you transfer the digital signal to an outside dac, you can get rid of the problem.

Never Mind, I'm a retard, i changed the AUX Cable and it's banging. Should have thought of this before.