Ok so I have read that the 1700x and the 1800x have a difference of 20C than what the temp is actually reporting. If that is true or not I don't know but even with that accounted for my temps just seem to be completely off. At idle temps sitting at 69C up to 76C. Played one game of Counter Strike: Global Offense and the CAM overlay showed temps jumping into the high 90s and right after the system stopped and shut down. Clearly there's some issue here. The cooler I am using is a Corsair H60 (I know not the biggest cooler but its just running at stock speeds so should be plenty of cooling power). Any help with this would be appreciated.

Sounds like a mounting issue on the h60. Try a remount? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

See I swapped from a Kraken X52 to the H60 due to the AM3 mounting bracket the H60 had fits on the AM4 brackets because i thought the ziptie job on the kraken was probably not applying the correct amount of pressure to get good heat transfer. I know its not a mounting issue as I've taken it off and a couple times going back and forth between the 2 coolers. I get the exact same temps between the two coolers.

wait so you're not using the am4 bracket on the h60?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

The H60 came off my girlfriends rig and works perfectly on hers. I am using the AM4 bracket with the H60. The H60's AM3 mounting solution just uses the hooks to hold onto the stock brackets so it fits on the AM4 stock mounting solution just fine.

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

wait so you're not using the am4 bracket on the h60?

The H60 uses the AM3 clip mounting which is compatible with AM4. I am using an H100i (overkill, under full load it only reaches 37°C) on my R7 1700 which uses the same mounting system.

5 minutes ago, MckenzieMullican said:

The H60 came off my girlfriends rig and works perfectly on hers. I am using the AM4 bracket with the H60. The H60's AM3 mounting solution just uses the hooks to hold onto the stock brackets so it fits on the AM4 stock mounting solution just fine.

What thermal paste did you use when you installed the cooler?

How old is the H60, and how is it oriented in the system? (rear, top, front mount, if rear/front mount is hose at top or bottom of radiator)

Do you hear any gurgling noises coming from the pump?

Turn off the system, and let it cool down. Then power it up and monitor the CPU temperature for 10 minutes.

Where does it start, and where does it settle.

When the temperatures are reading >70°C, does the air coming off the radiator feel hot?

4 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

What thermal paste did you use when you installed the cooler?

How old is the H60, and how is it oriented in the system? (rear, top, front mount, if rear/front mount is hose at top or bottom of radiator)

Do you hear any gurgling noises coming from the pump?

Turn off the system, and let it cool down. Then power it up and monitor the CPU temperature for 10 minutes.

Where does it start, and where does it settle.

When the temperatures are reading >70°C, does the air coming off the radiator feel hot?

Arctic Silver 5 is the thermal paste. The H60 is just a year old. Radiator is top mounted. No bad sounds from the pump. I literally just pulled it off my girlfriends computer today (upgraded her to the Kraken i took off mine) so its 100% in perfect working order. I've turned it off and let it for around 40 min. First boot up temps will show very low 60s and eventually settle around 70 (no load besides internet browsing). If I try to start up any game temps instantly start spiking into the mid 80s. Games that are more CPU dependent will easily push CPU temps into the 90s.

7 minutes ago, MckenzieMullican said:

Arctic Silver 5 is the thermal paste. The H60 is just a year old. Radiator is top mounted. No bad sounds from the pump. I literally just pulled it off my girlfriends computer today (upgraded her to the Kraken i took off mine) so its 100% in perfect working order. I've turned it off and let it for around 40 min. First boot up temps will show very low 60s and eventually settle around 70 (no load besides internet browsing). If I try to start up any game temps instantly start spiking into the mid 80s. Games that are more CPU dependent will easily push CPU temps into the 90s.

Does the radiator feel warm. If those temperatures are accurate you should feel a lot of warmth coming from the radiator, and it should feel very warm around the cooler mount.

I would recommend checking temperatures in a few programs, eg Aida 64 Extreme, HWmonitor etc.

1 minute ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Does the radiator feel warm. If those temperatures are accurate you should feel a lot of warmth coming from the radiator, and it should feel very warm around the cooler mount.

The radiator has a slight warmth to it. The air coming off is just the same, slightly warm. Not blazing hot. Around the cooler mount you can feel heat but as with everything else not too hot.

Just now, MckenzieMullican said:

The radiator has a slight warmth to it. The air coming off is just the same, slightly warm. Not blazing hot. Around the cooler mount you can feel heat but as with everything else not too hot.

The reading is most likely inaccurate (much more so than the reported 20°C). This could be an issue with the program you are using, or a fault with the sensor. If multiple HW monitoring tools report the high temperature then it would be the sensor.

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

The reading is most likely inaccurate (much more so than the reported 20°C). This could be an issue with the program you are using, or a fault with the sensor. If multiple HW monitoring tools report the high temperature then it would be the sensor.

The temps reads the same on AMD Ryzne Master, HWMonitor, HWInfo, CAM, etc. (i have a plethora of monitoring tools I use to just check accuracy lol). So most likely a faulty sensor on the chip then? My friend CJ thinks that the solder between the heatspreader and the die could be very weak causing very bad heat transfer.

Just now, MckenzieMullican said:

The temps reads the same on AMD Ryzne Master, HWMonitor, HWInfo, CAM, etc. (i have a plethora of monitoring tools I use to just check accuracy lol). So most likely a faulty sensor on the chip then? My friend CJ thinks that the solder between the heatspreader and the die could be very weak causing very bad heat transfer.

If it is a manufacturing fault in the heatspreader with those idle temperatures, then I would expect the chip to kick in a thermal throttle or shutdown under full load.

If you run an AIDA64 stress test, what does the temp get to, and does it report any thermal throttling?

I imagine it is just the sensor, as there is only one sensor on the CPU it is harder to diagnose.

I recommend you contact the store see if you can get it replaced under warranty just to be safe.

9 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

If it is a manufacturing fault in the heatspreader with those idle temperatures, then I would expect the chip to kick in a thermal throttle or shutdown under full load.

If you run an AIDA64 stress test, what does the temp get to, and does it report any thermal throttling?

I imagine it is just the sensor, as there is only one sensor on the CPU it is harder to diagnose.

I recommend you contact the store see if you can get it replaced under warranty just to be safe.

After 5min of Aida64 temp showing on HWMonitor is 95C (AIDA64 shows temp at 66C which is weird to me). Speeds are throttling to below 3000 across all cores.

1 minute ago, MckenzieMullican said:

After 5min of Aida64 temp showing on HWMonitor is 95C (AIDA64 shows temp at 66C which is weird to me). Speeds are throttling to below 3000 across all cores.

You are not going to get very good performance out of that processor unfortunately. Return it to the store.

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

You are not going to get very good performance out of that processor unfortunately. Return it to the store.

Well i've been dealt a bad component then :( 10 years of PC building and finally got my first bad one lol Thanks for the help!

On 3/27/2017 at 0:52 PM, MckenzieMullican said:

I'm facing the same issue with my 1700x.I'm equally worried.

Issues herewith 1700, 50-62c in Asus monitor (Performance mode) all the time. BIOS 0509. 65 to 70c at least while gaming, more or less.

Antec VP650PM/ R7 1700 (w/MasterLiquid Lite 120)/ GA-AB350-Gaming 3 (BIOS F25)/ 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2400Mhz/ Rtx 2060 / 232GB Samsung 750 Evo (OS),525GB Crucial MX500 (Games),  2TB WD Blue / LG 22MP68VQ-P

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I have flashed my bios from F5 to F6 on gigabyte board.Now i see huge difference in cpu temps in AIDA64.My idle temps are now 25-40 degrees celsius depending on windows power plan and also my ambient temperature is around 30-35 degrees at my place.So in winter i notice even lower idle temps.Ryzen master utility would report correct temperatures for cpu after updating to version 1.0.1.The version is yet to release on 11th april.