RX480 vs nVidia Equivalent

mealto

So what is up with the RX480 pricing? It's not cheap by any means but the RX480 seems to be the highest line of a current Radeon GPU and is priced from $300 to $400. Where as an nVidia higher end card can go for twice as much.

Why is the RX480 lower in price as compared to an nVidia counterpart. Something must be missing?

Just now, mealto said:

Why is the RX480 lower in price as compared to an nVidia counterpart. Something must be missing?

RX480 8GB competes with the GTX1060 6GB. The 1070 and 1080 have no red competitors yet.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Just now, mealto said:

NVIDIA charges more just because they're NVIDIA. That's just how it is. Intel does the same thing.

3 minutes ago, mealto said:

the RX480 seems to be the highest line of a current Radeon GPU and is priced from $300 to $400.

$300-400? According to PCPartPicker an RX 480 from Sapphire is between $200-250...

4 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

RX480 8GB competes with the GTX1060 6GB. The 1070 and 1080 have no red competitors yet.

^ This is set to change after VEGA releases and the rumored RX 580

I got 2 XFX RX480 GTR OC's (578 euro) for less then a (equal quality) GTX 1070 (599 euro) ...

Nvidia is super overpriced in the eu 

Let's agree to disagree

9 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

I got 2 XFX RX480 GTR OC's (578 euro) for less then a (equal quality) GTX 1070 (599 euro) ...

Nvidia is overpriced everywhere, but the good old US of A.

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

23 minutes ago, mealto said:

So what is up with the RX480 pricing? It's not cheap by any means but the RX480 seems to be the highest line of a current Radeon GPU and is priced from $300 to $400. Where as an nVidia higher end card can go for twice as much.

Where do you live?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, bob51zhang said:

Yeah, with exception of the USA, south east asia :>.

Here we tend to get cheaper Nvidia cards and with Nvidia cards being bought in basically 9.99/10 systems.

1 minute ago, bob51zhang said:

Indeed ... 

Altough their shield tablet is fucking mint ... i love that thing and it was pretty cheap compared to other brands (samsung,Apple)

Let's agree to disagree

Just now, Xenift said:

Here we tend to get cheaper Nvidia cards and with Nvidia cards being bought in basically 9.99/10 systems.

Really? Damn, me being a southeast asian really makes me question. I'm getting a GTX 1050 ti Oc. What could be comparable to it? Shame, as I'm a Nvidia and Intel fanboy.

Bet you can't say my name 3 times fast.

1 minute ago, Xenift said:

Does that include China?

I'll have to add something else to my shopping list next time I visit.

Spoiler

Just now, Llamafairpwllgwyngyll said:

I'm getting a GTX 1050 ti Oc. What could be comparable to it? 

RX 460/470, somewhere in the middle.

Spoiler

Just now, bob51zhang said:

Does that include China?

If it really is Southeast Asia, China isn't in there. Philippines (Proud Motherland), Singapore, and Malaysia as far as I know would be affected

1 minute ago, Llamafairpwllgwyngyll said:

Really? Damn, me being a southeast asian really makes me question. I'm getting a GTX 1050 ti Oc. What could be comparable to it? Shame, as I'm a Nvidia and Intel fanboy.

Currently the RX 470 is similarly priced as the 1050 Ti. And performance wise, the RX 470 is significantly more powerful than the 1050Ti. That might be worth checking out

2 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

Does that include China?

Doubt so, my region has shipping of cards only similarly priced with Malaysia.

@Llamafairpwllgwyngyll

To add on with what i mentioned earlier.

GTX 1050Ti 199

http://www.lazada.sg/palit-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-stormx-4gb-gddr5-graphics-card-9783410.html

(Single fan, runs around 80deg at max which is fairly hot.)

RX 470 309 + 25% performance.

http://www.lazada.sg/gigabyte-radeon-rx-470-g1-gaming-4g-9280726.html

(Two fans, should run around 70-75deg providing overclock headroom).

@Xenift

I'm Filipino, the sg link doesn't help. I am considering the RX 460 Windforce OC. I'm thinking that this will combat the "heat" that AMD cards are known for. Is this true per the 1050 Ti OC having the same cooling?

1 minute ago, Llamafairpwllgwyngyll said:

@Xenift

I'm Filipino, the sg link doesn't help. I am considering the RX 470. My main concern is A. It gets hot, my case does have a back fan. and B.No backplate, but. I am not really considering Overclocking. I'd rather not risk frying a already hot GPU.

http://www.lazada.com.ph/xfx-radeon-rx470-rx-470p4sfd5-single-fan-videocard-4gb-256bit-pcieddr5-12057616.html

http://www.lazada.com.ph/palit-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-stormx-ne5105t018g1-1070f-9422858.html

Here these should provide the price mark for you.

Both are single fan iterations and i would recommend the 470 because of it's ability to play 1080P better.

Just now, Xenift said:

http://www.lazada.com.ph/xfx-radeon-rx470-rx-470p4sfd5-single-fan-videocard-4gb-256bit-pcieddr5-12057616.html

http://www.lazada.com.ph/palit-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-stormx-ne5105t018g1-1070f-9422858.html

Here these should provide the price mark for you.

Both are single fan iterations and i would recommend the 470 because of it's ability to play 1080P better.

I edited my post. Really local shops here actually sell these for less. It's the Lazada price point.

Ex:

https://dynaquestpc.com/product/palit-gtx-1050-ti-dual-oc-4gb-gddr5/

https://dynaquestpc.com/product/palit-gtx-1050-ti-stormx-4gb/

https://dynaquestpc.com/product/xfx-rx-470-triple-x-4gb-single-fan-rx-470p4sfd5/

I'm really looking into the graphics card that I've just edited.

2 minutes ago, Llamafairpwllgwyngyll said:

I edited my post. Really local shops here actually sell these for less. It's the Lazada price point.

Ex:

https://dynaquestpc.com/product/palit-gtx-1050-ti-dual-oc-4gb-gddr5/

https://dynaquestpc.com/product/palit-gtx-1050-ti-stormx-4gb/

https://dynaquestpc.com/product/xfx-rx-470-triple-x-4gb-single-fan-rx-470p4sfd5/

I'm really looking into the graphics card that I've just edited.

Yep, i think the 1050Ti at that price range with dual fan is unbeatable.

If you really are going for budget, then go with the single fan one. But i feel like the 1050Ti is a card you might wanna overclock in the future.

2 minutes ago, Xenift said:

Yep, i think the 1050Ti at that price range with dual fan is unbeatable.

If you really are going for budget, then go with the single fan one. But i feel like the 1050Ti is a card you might wanna overclock in the future.

Idk I've seen a comparison of the RX460 Windforce OC doing better. Imo the Windforce + The OC should mean that it gets better cooling.

nVidia historically has provided good support with updates. How do the Radeon cards fair?

59 minutes ago, mealto said:

nVidia historically has provided good support with updates. How do the Radeon cards fair?

No they haven't... they stop updating after a short while. AMD improves performance over a long period of time, but typically Nvidia has better launch drivers

That's an F in the profile pic

11 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

No they haven't... they stop updating after a short while. AMD improves performance over a long period of time, but typically Nvidia has better launch drivers

Interesting you say that. I remember an older nVidia card was crashing Premiere Pro a while back and because it was an older card, I thought that would be it. Looked it up, found an appropriate modern day nVidia driver and it fixed the Premiere Pro problem.

Can you explain what a launch driver is?

3 hours ago, MrTiC said:

Not really. Gtx 1070 369€ and rx480 250€ in eu