Ice cooled build!

Numbafieve

So about 2 years ago I decided I wanted to build a new computer and thus started making preparations for it.  By the end however, the build had strayed so far from the original plan that it turned into something that at least I find cool.

IMG_1305.thumb.JPG.542b52e848bd941b56893dfa1eca2f7b.JPG

IMG_1308.thumb.JPG.a19e0c5d8e9295a5a46760f91c33dc1a.JPG

Sorry about the pictures being kinda huge It just turned out like that.

So the whole point of this build is to focus on overclocking that Frankenstein of a1070 there.  It's just an EVGA 1070SC that has been shunt modded to allow for a higher power draw.  That caused it to get hot enough to start dynamically downclocking to a point where it didn't matter anymore even at 100% fan all the time.  So I decided to run some tests and found that at 24C it would start downclocking, and thus my temp target was born!  I bought a cheapo water block for the card and went to work getting it ready for a water chiller.  I used that same conformal coating that Linus used in the waterproof hard drive video to waterproof the PCB of the card and then used kneaded eraser like he did in the sub-zero build to seal off the area with the core and ram from outside air.  I also put neoprene anywhere that I could effectively stick to help insulate the card and it has done a wonderful job!  Later on, my friend bought the AIO I had cooling my i7 3770 so I decided it was time for a new CPU.  At first, I had a Ryzen 1700 but hated it and got a 7600K instead (long story).  Since I had no good cooler for that i5 I got yet again another cheapo water block for it as well as a proper one to test the difference.  The one in the next photo is the cheapo one because it was outperforming the Apogee block that iIgot for Ryzen when I still had it.  

IMG_1385.thumb.JPG.418977d1008fb962936bfce334e7ba64.JPG

So you might notice that there are no radiators (obviously) but that the reservoir is a 7ish gallon cooler.  It is a bit difficult to see but there are a ton of camping ice packs (17 of them) with more in the freezer to swap them out when one set melts.  The pump was a bit of a challenge since I couldn't find a freaking adhesive that would stick to whatever plastic that cooler is made of.  I have one with a hole in the side so that the pump wouldn't have to suck the water up and out of the res.  I ended up having to do it anyway and it seems to be working just fine as long as I get the air bubble out of it since it's basically a reverse grease trap.  I could make a series about the struggles of getting that stupid air bubble out when I have to disconnect the tower from the reservoir.  Carpenters will probably notice the fine craftsmanship of the pump mount made of 2 scrap.. erm I mean carefully chosen and planned 2x6 and 1x3 planks held together by 4 screws that were in fact predrilled!  Back onto the important parts, the fittings were painfully added in later against my will because the barb fittings just weren't cutting it anymore and looked super ugly even compared to the rest of the computer.  This happened when I put in the CPU block, which conveniently brings me to the socket of the motherboard.  It is difficult to see but underneath the block is about a fist sized chunk of kneaded eraser that seals the socket from the air, the back of the motherboard is also covered in eraser and has a huge piece of neoprene insulating it.  

As I have run out of ideas on what to say I will just put in a few more things and answer any questions if anybody cares enough to ask!  I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that will find this thread interesting since it's my computer and this computer is something along the lines of "something only a mother could love".  So here are a few more insignificant things before I end this post that the skype call is voicing to me is "getting really annoying hearing you type this freaking essay out!"

58d5cf6182a48_IMG_1333(1).thumb.JPG.7042016fe43c849fec4e9c57fd54b90e.JPG

Untitled.thumb.png.ae8c9ba9113f89a8a94e82f1232823d4.png

Here is a picture of when it was still Ryzen and had those ugly barb fittings in it.  The motherboard also is that stupid 95% ATX crap that is like 2cm too short to get the third row of screws in.

Other crap:

the power supply is a refurb unit that has me settled on never buying a refurbished PSU again, it is such a quirky block that I also refuse to get rid of since I got it for a steal of $30 at Microcenter

That is graphics card number 5! The previous motherboard at least has been through 5 different "permanent" GPUs 

The GPU can hit 2200Mhz core if I put in all the ice at once, the CPU on the other hand hasn't done so well since the water block doesn't directly contact the die like on the GPU

The loop will idle at about 2-5 degrees C but since I'm doing stuff it wasn't that low for the screenshot, at full load it hits 10-18 C

There is a ton of non-computer crap in my case so it's not such an eyesore to look at.  You can see a battleship and a plastic army guy in one of the pictures.

I refuse to turn the RGB stuff to red because i'm a lazy bastard and making triple monitors work for freaking anything takes up all of my energy

my desk is only 1 foot above the floor and takes up more space than my bed

all together my setup weighs about 80 kilograms which easily dwarfs me

the desk is very useful for hiding the 8 gallons of tea and boxes of snacks that are used for the gaming marathons on weekends

OK im done now

I couldn't put up with changing out ice packs. I can barely deal with UnRaid.

Nice job though! And I wonder why it throttles at 24C now... 

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

2 minutes ago, FAQBytes said:

I couldn't put up with changing out ice packs. I can barely deal with UnRaid.

Nice job though! And I wonder why it throttles at 24C now... 

I have no clue why it does it at 24C since i thought it didnt start untill like 50 but it also does it at 42C aswell