CPU load temp changed drastically

DarkBlade2117

The other day my CPU would hit a max of 70C, sometimes hitting 71C though jumping back down to 70C. This was when rendering a video, now.. when I went to render a video it jumped up to 88C... And is jumping from like 77-87

http://prntscr.com/emi1yq

Yellow line is current value

Green line is minimum

Red line is Max.

This was in a matter of 30 seconds. The CPU is only at 1.285v and the mins and maxes are the temps it has been jumping around in. Just 2 days ago it was hitting a max of 70C... it was fine for a few days, I didn't do any heavy loads and then this. It's late at night so any suggestions I'll have to try in the morning

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

First, is it overclocked?

Second, how old is it, such as near launch or just bought?

Third, Is your CPU fan speed slower or faster?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mf3Zcc My build

R.I.P Donny- Got banned. We will always remember your spamming of "Cancerbooks"

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man

1 minute ago, ♠FlamieMeister♠ said:

First, is it overclocked?

Second, how old is it, such as near launch or just bought?

Third, Is your CPU fan speed slower or faster?

1. It sits at 1.285v stock clocks

2. CPU was bought a few months ago

3. The fan curve is set, the fans are running pretty much at max RPMs.

Don't see how any of this helps other than #1 which I kind of put in the OP. 

Also.. thermal compound was just replaced, and again I doubt any of this would affect it THAT much.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

8 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

The other day my CPU would hit a max of 70C, sometimes hitting 71C though jumping back down to 70C. This was when rendering a video, now.. when I went to render a video it jumped up to 88C... And is jumping from like 77-87

http://prntscr.com/emi1yq

Yellow line is current value

Green line is minimum

Red line is Max.

This was in a matter of 30 seconds. The CPU is only at 1.285v and the mins and maxes are the temps it has been jumping around in. Just 2 days ago it was hitting a max of 70C... it was fine for a few days, I didn't do any heavy loads and then this. It's late at night so any suggestions I'll have to try in the morning

How old is your thermal paste, and what paste is it

Just now, DarkBlade2117 said:

Also.. thermal compound was just replaced, and again I doubt any of this would affect it THAT much.

Wow, but thermal paste does make a difference. I got 8c difference from Intel stock paste and Arctic Silver 5.

1 minute ago, Daniel Z. said:

Wow, but thermal paste does make a difference. I got 8c difference from Intel stock paste and Arctic Silver 5.

3 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Older cpus tend to heat up more than newer ones, and fans can make a huge difference in terms of temp. Anyway, probably thermal paste or it might be less air coming in.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mf3Zcc My build

R.I.P Donny- Got banned. We will always remember your spamming of "Cancerbooks"

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man

2 minutes ago, ♠FlamieMeister♠ said:

Older cpus tend to heat up more than newer ones, and fans can make a huge difference in terms of temp. Anyway, probably thermal paste or it might be less air coming in.

5 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Put in a brand new case, little to no dust inside it. Using Arctic Silver MX-2.

Again. 2-3 days ago it was fine... I don't see how a CPU goes from a max of 70C under load to 88C just randomly with nothing changing.

If you're still using the Deepcool 240 or some AIO, it is possible the pump is starting to fail. Check it closely for any noise. Try and feel if the liquid is flowing as it should. Also check that the pump is still getting the right voltage from the MB.

i7 10700k @ 5.1Ghz, 1.37v | Asus Z490-E Strix | Asus Rtx 2080ti Strix | 16Gb Trident Z Rgb @ 3600MHz | Samsung 970 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w  | Corsair 500D | Celcius s36 /w ML Pro's

i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz, 1.31v | Asus Z370-A Prime | Asus Gtx 1080ti Strix | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | Samsung 850 Evo | Corsair TX 650W  | Corsair 750D | Corsair H100i v2 /w SP-120's

11 minutes ago, Silentsoul said:

If you're still using the Deepcool 240 or some AIO, it is possible the pump is starting to fail. Check it closely for any noise. Try and feel if the liquid is flowing as it should. Also check that the pump is still getting the right voltage from the MB.

Hm.. I'll have to look into that. Only had it for nearly 4 months,  so still have a warranty.

• 1 month later...
On 21/3/2017 at 4:17 AM, DarkBlade2117 said:

Hm.. I'll have to look into that. Only had it for nearly 4 months,  so still have a warranty.

Any news about this man?
I have the same liquid cooler (captain 240 ex) and r7 1700

With the stock cpu reaches a maximum of 50 °
But if I try to overclock to 3.8 ghz 1.3vcore the temperatures jump to 74 ° C

Have you solved your problem?

56 minutes ago, Denroth said:

Any news about this man?
I have the same liquid cooler (captain 240 ex) and r7 1700

With the stock cpu reaches a maximum of 50 °
But if I try to overclock to 3.8 ghz 1.3vcore the temperatures jump to 74 ° C

Have you solved your problem?

Kind of. What I've learned may or may not be useful or helpful. Now I used to own a 212 Evo that was on my 6700k for a bit and is relevant. So on my 212 Evo, ya my temps were in the low 80s and loud as fuck. My 240EX comes along and I do a poor job mounting it. Remount the thing... Seriously I thought my screws were tight but after remounting it for what seemed like the 6th time, it lowered temps by 6-8C. Another things I learned... MOUNT IT IN THE FRONT. Unless you've got a blower style GPU, your RAD fans are just pulling hot air right into the RAD. Now even though I have an R9 290, my temps did not rise from moving it to the front. And finally... Salazar Studio has a video on this. Your temps with an AIO might not be lower, they will just take longer to reach those temps and my 240EX even though has more moving parts is quieter due to lower fan RPMs. Also... Fiddle with your FAN curve settings. Don't do what I did and be one and done, every time you boot your PC go into BIOs and change it slightly. It may not change the temps or only by a little but keep doing that until you're happy. I need to work on mine more for sure, especially my case fans.

On 21/03/2017 at 2:40 AM, DarkBlade2117 said:

Since this is the only factor that's been recently changed I'd look at this before even considering anything else.

On 21/03/2017 at 2:48 AM, DarkBlade2117 said:

Put in a brand new case, little to no dust inside it. Using Arctic Silver MX-2.

Again. 2-3 days ago it was fine... I don't see how a CPU goes from a max of 70C under load to 88C just randomly with nothing changing.

It takes a bit of time for compound to settle, there is a chance its settled in an unfavourable way and hence increased the temperatures. Might be worth re-applying the thermal compound to see if it has favourable effect. I've seen a 10 degree decrease in my temperatures after using MX4 though I cant say that was due purely to the compound, my AIO might just have been seated tighter so it can have a pretty big impact IMO.

Best of luck!