Decent monitors for future reference.

Aphexxis
Go to solution Solved by SSL,
57 minutes ago, Aphexxis said:

500 (English pounds)

JBL LSR305 then. Tough to find a more accurate monitor for the money. Or more money, even.

In the near future i want to significantly upgrade my speakers to something high grade and transparent.

I would like some advice please.

@SSL @spwath 

Stuff like this for example.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audioengine-A2-Powered-Desktop-Speakers/dp/B00DQMJE7E/ref=pd_sbs_23_8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DZKQ1DPQKKYTHDV34KY9

And when i do, will i need to upgrade to a dedicated sound card? 

I have a intel xeon cpu and a 1070 i hope this makes you salty.

The A2 sure as hell isn't high grade or transparent.

Let's start with a budget.

Just now, SSL said:

The A2 sure as hell isn't high grade or transparent.

Let's start with a budget.

500 (English pounds)

I have a intel xeon cpu and a 1070 i hope this makes you salty.

57 minutes ago, Aphexxis said:

500 (English pounds)

JBL LSR305 then. Tough to find a more accurate monitor for the money. Or more money, even.

@Aphexxis

FYI, I would highly recommend using a sound card with monitors. Depending on your usage, it will be really useful. Additionally, you will definitely be able to hear a great sound difference, even if you get a 'cheap' (it's all relative) model.

I haven't looked at what @SSL recommended in depth, but I would definitely buy a sound card with monitors if I didn't have one already.

If you can get 2 of the monitors for a total of ~250 pounds, you could look at the Komplete Audio 6, which would fit in your budget. It is a very decent sound card, isn't too expensive, and rather small. Again, if you have any ideas/preferences, tell me and I'll help you.

3 minutes ago, Sneling said:

@Aphexxis

FYI, I would highly recommend using a sound card with monitors. Depending on your usage, it will be really useful. Additionally, you will definitely be able to hear a great sound difference, even if you get a 'cheap' (it's all relative) model.

I haven't looked at what @SSL recommended in depth, but I would definitely buy a sound card with monitors if I didn't have one already.

If you can get 2 of the monitors for a total of ~250 pounds, you could look at the Komplete Audio 6, which would fit in your budget. It is a very decent sound card, isn't too expensive, and rather small. Again, if you have any ideas/preferences, tell me and I'll help you.

It's a good monitor. The main benefit to the interface (what you reference is not a "sound card") would be the balanced outputs.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

It's a good monitor. The main benefit to the interface (what you reference is not a "sound card") would be the balanced outputs.

Yeah ok. Thanks for the precision, I always assumed they were basically the same (one was internal, the other external, but nowadays interchangable).

6 minutes ago, Sneling said:

Yeah ok. Thanks for the precision, I always assumed they were basically the same (one was internal, the other external, but nowadays interchangable).

Part of it is the use case; an interface is a professional device, whereas a soundcard is what Asus and Creative make these days.

For example, stuff made by the likes of Lynx, ESI, etc, are PCI cards, but still referred to as interfaces.