does anyone have a guide to overclock my i7 930?

hello guys i need some help overclocking my cpu.

yes it kinda old

Gaming Laptop: Dell G5 5587

First you need to make sure your CPU is overclockable. Then you need to make sure you motherboard supports overclocking. After that I cant help you as have never used a Gigabyte motherboard as all the pcs in my house are pre-builts apart from mine which has an As-Rock

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

4 hours ago, josbeph83 said:

First you need to make sure your CPU is overclockable. Then you need to make sure you motherboard supports overclocking. After that I cant help you as have never used a Gigabyte motherboard as all the pcs in my house are pre-builts apart from mine which has an As-Rock

yes it is overclockable both mobo and cpu 

Gaming Laptop: Dell G5 5587

Your CPU is locked. You cannot increase the CPU multiplier.

HOWEVER there are no stupid bus speeds tied to the baseclock (BCLK) so you can raise the BCLK frequencies to effectively overclock your processor. As an upside, you can hit crazy speeds (4.0 GHz+) reliably and without too much heat. The downside? It overclocks almost everything (QPI and RAM as well) so you really have to know your shit to do it stably. Oftentimes people will think they've hit instability, but it's really just that they pushed their ram too fast without thinking and lowering their ram from x8 to x6 solves that issue and they can go even more.

TLDR: it's not a simple thing. If you are incapable of googling this topic, you are incapable of overclocking it because it's not a simple overclock.

Overclocking on X58 is not that hard. But you need good cooling (a cheap air cooler like Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, is no go). Overclocking on X58 is on BCLK on less you have an unlocket cpu like I7 975X/980X and I7 990X. When that is said x58 oc best on BCLK any way. That comming from one that have oc an I7 920 up to 4.4 GHz and now a I7 980X up to 4.77 GHz. Even throw I7 980X has unlocket multiplier i endet up disable turbo mode and oc on BCLK alone. That gave by far the bedst result for me.

To give you and idea of what cooling you need i cooled my I7 920 CPU with a 4.1 GHz oc for 24/7 use with an Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and two 120 MM fans.

And my current I7 980X @ 4.25 GHz is cooled by an Noctua NH-D14 with 3 120 MM fans mounted (yes 3 fans). With these coolers and oc i cut keep the core temp at max 70 C that is safe. critical temp for X58 CPU´s 85-90 C but every thing over 80 C is to high.

Here is 3dmark firestrike score from my setups old I7 920 and my current I7 980X with is a lovely CPU to OC and use.

3dmark_firestrike_rekord_1.jpg

3Dmark_Fire_Strike_4.77_GHz.jpg

This OC guide is for I7 920 and the one i used back when i Wahs noob my self on oc on X58, but besides 133 MHz clock frekvens and one multiplier more. Your I7 930 is the same as an I7 920.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_i7_920_overclocking

these image under here is the settings i used for my I7 920 cpu on a asus motherboard for a 4 GHz overclock. That can might help you to get yours up to speed. But remember you can not just copy voltage since every cpu overclock differently when it comes to needed voltage.

20160415_190754.jpg

20160415_190903.jpg

This shut be a great help and start for your oc adventure. Good luck.

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

As an upside, you can hit crazy speeds (4.0 GHz+) reliably and without too much heat.

Bro, do you even X58? An overclocked LGA 1366 i7 can give an FX 9590 a run for its money in the "how is my computer not on fire yet?" challenge.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.