Founders edition or aftermarket!!!!

YourComputerGeek

Hi,

I'm debating between either getting a founders edition now, (GTX 1080 Ti) or waiting for EVGA after market coolers to come out, I rarely overclock, what is the main difference? Is it worth to go with after market coolers/cards? Thanks

The difference are usually noise and temperature. Why not overclock? You get free performance.

blower style cards tend to be hotter than open air coolers unless it's in an SFF build, where the blower card could outperform open air coolers in temps. noise is also higher on blower style cards since it's only 1 fan blowing air into the gpu while open air graphics cards usually get 2-3.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

The difference are usually noise and temperature. Why not overclock? You get free performance.

I do sometimes, I had a GTX 980 SC and got it up to 1603 on air, pretty good, but i couldn't find a good stable level for it, it would always crash, so I gave up after awhile

2 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

blower style cards tend to be hotter than open air coolers unless it's in an SFF build, where the blower card could outperform open air coolers in temps. noise is also higher on blower style cards since it's only 1 fan blowing air into the gpu while open air graphics cards usually get 2-3.

How much does the blower style affect performance? I'm coming from a GTX 980 SC. I'm getting a little impatient waiting for EVGA to release their after market ones

GPU overclocks tend to not be worth it, in my opinion, especially with GPU Boost 3.0. However, if you don't plan on liquid cooling, definitely wait for the vendor coolers. The noise and temperatures will be much easier to live with.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

1 minute ago, DaftBehemoth said:

GPU overclocks tend to not be worth it, in my opinion, especially with GPU Boost 3.0. However, if you don't plan on liquid cooling, definitely wait for the vendor coolers. The noise and temperatures will be much easier to live with.

Ok, btw, I see that you have a i7 4790k, I'm worried that it will bottleneck the 1080 ti? how is the performance for you? and also, any idea when EVGA could release their aftermarket cards?

1 minute ago, YourComputerGeek said:

Ok, btw, I see that you have a i7 4790k, I'm worried that it will bottleneck the 1080 ti? how is the performance for you? and also, any idea when EVGA could release their aftermarket cards?

As a pure gaming machine, performance is just fine. I could probably pick up a few frames here and there, but frankly Intel has moved so slow in the last 5 years that any recent i7 is going to be good enough. 

I can't give any dates on card releases, but I would expect to see them within the month. Have some patience. I promise the wait will be worth it.:)

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

13 minutes ago, DaftBehemoth said:

As a pure gaming machine, performance is just fine. I could probably pick up a few frames here and there, but frankly Intel has moved so slow in the last 5 years that any recent i7 is going to be good enough. 

I can't give any dates on card releases, but I would expect to see them within the month. Have some patience. I promise the wait will be worth it.:)

Alright, thank u!