My first "dead" SSD

P1X3

About two years ago I put in a SSD drive into one of the server I was co-maintaining. The drive was used for system and database storage.

It wasn't heavy used, but as of couple days ago it is officially "dead."

It's kinda interesting how nothing can be written to it, and nothing can be deleted. 

SSD showed no signs of degradation until couple days ago. System started acting up and froze, but everything seemed fine after restart. No log entries.

SMART shows that everything is fine as if this was lightly used SSD.

P.S. Don't ask me why value ssd was put into a server. It wasn't up to me.

Kingston 64GB [V] Series

SNV425-S2/64GB

Brand, model?

Wish we could keep a tally of LTT dead products, not that it means everything but just as a record for future reference if for trash talking.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Brand, model?

Wish we could keep a tally of LTT dead products, not that it means everything but just as a record for future reference if for trash talking.

I edited OP with details. It wasn't up to me what SSD to put into the server. If it was then I would go with something more enterprise oriented, or at least Intel brand.

An SSD with MLC nand flash from a brand like Intel should last longer than an SSD with TLC nand flash from Samsung.

An SSD with MLC nand flash from a brand like Intel should last longer than an SSD with TLC nand flash from Samsung.

"Dead" SSD is being replaced with 5xx series from Intel. Hopefully 530, but will settle for 520. 

could you still read files from it?
and transfer all the files to another drive?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I edited OP with details. It wasn't up to me what SSD to put into the server. If it was then I would go with something more enterprise oriented, or at least Intel brand.

I'm not questioning the why, I would of done the same thing if I had the dough at that time. I'm only saying this info is pretty cool to log.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

"Dead" SSD is being replaced with 5xx series from Intel. Hopefully 530, but will settle for 520. 

Sounds like a good choice for an SSD. It really all depends on how much you read/write and how much you have to spend. That SSD will most likely last longer than you previous one.

So local store had no intel ssd and had to settle for neutron...

could you still read files from it?
and transfer all the files to another drive?

Yes, files can be copied over and used, unless file got corrupted.