Need network help

gtxtogo

Hi. Im having a issue that i cant resolve since network is something i know little about.

My internett modem is on the second floor, theres concrete between, i have a usb wifi adapter but the signal is up and down, it only supports the 2.4ghz not 5ghz. 

But my modem supports it.

I also have an Engenius ews310ap that i tried to connect to my computer for a better choice then the usb adapter. 

But i have no idea how to set it up with settings and ip adresses and so on. That is difficult. Is there an easy way of doing it. Or should i just go and buy a 5ghz usb adapter?

you could see if you can set the router in bridge mode. then you could connect it to your wireless network and use cable from your pc to the modem.

1 minute ago, JPotze said:

you could see if you can set the router in bridge mode. then you could connect it to your wireless network and use cable from your pc to the modem.

Alternatively, use the Engenius as Range extender. So connect to your modem with the Engenius and assign it a custom SSID and password and then use it as router downstairs. It´s not as complicated as it sounds. 

Thanks. The range extender was something that i was thinking about. But its still difficult for me. I know how to access the enginius, with a cable in my pc. But from there its alot of setup mess.

Yes i could connect a cable from my pc to the modem, but my wife will not have a cable running through the entire house. So unless i wanna keep my computer the cable solution is not happening

On 07/03/2017 at 3:48 PM, gtxtogo said:

Hi. Im having a issue that i cant resolve since network is something i know little about.

My internett modem is on the second floor, theres concrete between, i have a usb wifi adapter but the signal is up and down, it only supports the 2.4ghz not 5ghz. 

But my modem supports it.

I also have an Engenius ews310ap that i tried to connect to my computer for a better choice then the usb adapter. 

But i have no idea how to set it up with settings and ip adresses and so on. That is difficult. Is there an easy way of doing it. Or should i just go and buy a 5ghz usb adapter?

Hi there, 
I'm from Portugal where all our housing is made of full concrete, meaning concrete walls, floor, cealing, etc. 

I would not use Range Extenders, they are terrible and work badly 90% of the times because you effectively will have a bunch of Wifi networks that dont know to work with each other unless you go to an expensive setup such as Ubiquity APs. And even those dont work as range extenders at 100%, they work as a multiple Access Point Wifi network, where each Access Point is connected by wire, with a "server" in the back to manage to what Access Point should your device connect to. 

If your objective is to extend your wifi coverage, I would recomend using your Access Point, the Engenius ews310ap, pulling a cable from where your router is to the other floor so that you have max signal. Remember to mount Wifi Access Points high up in your rooms for better coverage due to less obstacles (if you have a normal "Router", it has a Access Point component, learn more here:

The problem with Wifi Range Extenders is that they will be as fast as the Wifi speed they are getting, meaning that if your Wifi is already bad, it will remaing being bad even if you have 5 bars on your signal strengh. 

For sake of simplicity, I will call your ISP "router" ISP-Router and your Access Point Engenius ews310ap an AP. 

After you have your AP and your ISP-Router connected to each other with a cable (just connect from any Lan port on your ISP-Router to your AP), you setup 2 Wifi networks, 1 on your ISP-Router, you can call it whatever you want, such as SecondFloor-Wifi, and another Wifi network on your AP, lets call it FirstFloor-Wifi.
The issue with this setup is that most of the times you have to manually switch between one network to the other if you move from one floor to the other, because most of our devices avoid jumping from one network to the other, but other than that you should have a good Wifi Coverage.