Radeon HD 7950 Overheating

wcrb15
Go to solution Solved by PCGuy_5960,
Just now, wcrb15 said:

Will do. I'll order some of that TIM. :) Thanks for the help. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Np :D BTW, because you are applying thermal paste directly on the die, make sure that you have enough thermal paste to completely cover the die.

Ok so I bought a used HIS ICEQ Radeon HD 7950 a few years back. It was running fine paired with my Phenom II X4 955, but I semi-recently upgraded to a FX-8350 and now the GPU is overheating. Like hitting temps over 90C under load with an ambient room temp of like 20-25C, and hitting idle temps of over 50C. I'm thinking of trying to pull it apart and reapplying thermal paste before just buying a RX480. Anyone have any experience pulling this card apart? It looks like the back plate might have more than just the 4 screws around the GPU. I watched the video Linus did about taking apart a GPU and that's the only reason I'm going to try it because I previously would have just replaced it. I've also blown out the card as best as I can with compressed air and that hasn't seemed to help much. Any advice?

5 minutes ago, wcrb15 said:

I'm thinking of trying to pull it apart and reapplying thermal paste before just buying a RX480.

Do this. Use Arctic MX-4 or EK Ectotherm as they are not conductive/capacitive :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

8 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Do this. Use Arctic MX-4 or EK Ectotherm as they are not conductive/capacitive :D

Will do. I'll order some of that TIM. :) Thanks for the help. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Just now, wcrb15 said:

Np :D BTW, because you are applying thermal paste directly on the die, make sure that you have enough thermal paste to completely cover the die.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

That's a good tip I hadn't considered lol. 

17 minutes ago, jools said:

those cards do run hot

I had seen some people saying that but it doesn't seem like it should be running hot enough to shut the PC down lol. When I put the card under full load for too long even with the fans manually on high the temperature continues to rise until the PC shuts down.

I used some Arctic Silver Ceramique that I had on my GPU and it seems to be running correctly now. Still idles around 50C but only gets to like 65C under load. Thanks for the advice guys. :)

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:56 PM, wcrb15 said:

I had seen some people saying that but it doesn't seem like it should be running hot enough to shut the PC down lol. When I put the card under full load for too long even with the fans manually on high the temperature continues to rise until the PC shuts down.

you are right, my statement was comparative to intel cards which run cooler.

ok, ive looked on net and idles for card range from 35c-45c approx...

under load from 60c-85c approx....

so 90c is hot and will cause shut down....

possible causes list

1) bad air flow (poss fan failure,clean fans and fins, ensure max fan activation @70c)

2) bad thermal paste(paste can dry out-needs to be re-applied)

3) bad case air flow (ensure space round card has free air flow, change fan slot)

4) bad game settings eg Anti alias settings high etc.

fixes clean card reapply thermal paste

use gpu-z to test idle and full load... monitor idle temps first then load

this should do it

hope this helps

17 hours ago, jools said:

you are right, my statement was comparative to intel cards which run cooler.

ok, ive looked on net and idles for card range from 35c-45c approx...

under load from 60c-85c approx....

so 90c is hot and will cause shut down....

possible causes list

1) bad air flow (poss fan failure,clean fans and fins, ensure max fan activation @70c)

2) bad thermal paste(paste can dry out-needs to be re-applied)

3) bad case air flow (ensure space round card has free air flow, change fan slot)

4) bad game settings eg Anti alias settings high etc.

fixes clean card reapply thermal paste

use gpu-z to test idle and full load... monitor idle temps first then load

this should do it

hope this helps

Yep it was the thermal paste. I applied some new TIM and it's working as expected now. Thanks for the help. :)