External PCIE slot?

minimoose

So my motherboard only has one PCIE 16x slot, so I can't run SLI, but is there such a thing as a PCIE external slot?  Maybe I am totally crazy for thinking of this but let me know! 

So my motherboard only has one PCIE 16x slot, so I can't run SLI, but is there such a thing as a PCIE external slot?  Maybe I am totally crazy for thinking of this but let me know! 

Maybe thunderbolt?

What do you mean?

Thunderbolt combines PCI Express (PCIe) and DisplayPort (DP) into one serial signal alongside a DC connection for electric power, transmitted over one cable. Up to six peripherals may be supported by one connector through various topologies.

src: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)

OK, that looks interesting, but would SLI work?

Wouldn't know. Do I just looked and your board doesn't have thunderbolt anyway so that is out of the equation. It looks like you have to pci express x16 that are wired up for x16 and x4. At pcie 3 it would probably be more than acceptable. If you wanted more you probably would have to upgrade your motherboard.

Wouldn't know. Do I just looked and your board doesn't have thunderbolt anyway so that is out of the equation. It looks like you have to pci express x16 that are wired up for x16 and x4. At pcie 3 it would probably be more than acceptable. If you wanted more you probably would have to upgrade your motherboard.

My motherboard doesn't support SLI though, I think that it wouldn't work just because of the software, but I could be wrong.

My motherboard doesn't support SLI though, I think that it wouldn't work just because of the software, but I could be wrong.

buy one of those external pcie boxes. google it. its kind of DIY but its neath. i dont know if it haves limitations and whatnot

buy one of those external pcie boxes. google it. its kind of DIY but its neath. i dont know if it haves limitations and whatnot

Could you link that?

I have seen it implemented before, but to be honest is it really worth it? An external system won't be anywhere near as fast as legitimate PCI-E 16x slot on your Motherboard, could give it a shot if you want though? For the most part things like those external systems are meant for Laptop's with crappy onboard GPU's. I know on Laptop's it's linked through what is it, a mini PCI adapter? Or something like that, like a little card, I have no idea how you'd implement it on a Desktop MOBO though, what interface is even quick enough? Thunderbolt perhaps? 

Stuff like this for example: 

post-35673-0-65374200-1384153600.jpg

Okay well a couple of things.

First of all external PCI-e thunderbolt slots have terrible driver support atm so you will be lucky to even get it to work let alone get good fps.

Secondly you will not be able to SLI cause even if you get an external PCI-e box I doubt anyone makes SLI bridges long enough to reach it.

also it is really expensive right now for these boxes they can be up to a couple hundred dollars and I doubt your mobo supports thunderbolt so just buy a new mother board simple as that : /

Like seriously the cost of buying a thunderbolt ready motherboard (Which tend to be on very premium boards if that) and than the PCI-e box. You could just buy a new motherboard that has 2 PCI-e 3.0 16x slots and hell a new case to put it in for half the price :I

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Okay well a couple of things.

First of all external PCI-e thunderbolt slots have terrible driver support atm so you will be lucky to even get it to work let alone get good fps.

Secondly you will not be able to SLI cause even if you get an external PCI-e box I doubt anyone makes SLI bridges long enough to reach it.

also it is really expensive right now for these boxes they can be up to a couple hundred dollars and I doubt your mobo supports thunderbolt so just buy a new mother board simple as that : /

Like seriously the cost of buying a thunderbolt ready motherboard (Which tend to be on very premium boards if that) and than the PCI-e box. You could just buy a new motherboard that has 2 PCI-e 3.0 16x slots and hell a new case to put it in for half the price :I

I wasn't sure how cheap it would be, 

I wasn't sure how cheap it would be, 

Cheap ? im pretty sure for the price doing all this for extra slots you could just buy a XL-ATX card

Cheap ? im pretty sure for the price doing all this for extra slots you could just buy a XL-ATX card

Yes, I know that now, but I didn't when I posted :D