Desktop Workstation RAID 1 vs Single Drive

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

In most cases, performance remains the same unless the controller is being overworked (which won't be the case looking at your specs). Some RAID 1 solutions support striped reads, which reads data from the drives in a similar way to RAID 0, theoretically (but not practically) doubling the read performance. If you're going to be using onboard RAID, I don't think that feature is supported. 

Boot times will be a little slower due to the RAID controller having to initialise on boot, but other than that performance is unaffected. 

Hello All,

I'm in the process of configuring a custom built brand new Hewlett-Packard Z840 Workstation for personal use. While I'm done with the rest of the configuration I'm curious to know about the performance effects in terms of read/write speeds of RAID 1 vs a single drive. I will be using a PCIe SSD (Z Turbo Gen 2) as a boot drive. I'm pretty confused between the RAID 1 vs single drive.

I would need some help deciding between the two(RAID1 vs Single drive). I prefer redundancy but not at the cost of severe performance downgrades. Using RAID 10 is not an option for now due to budget constraints, although may be a possibility in the future.

I'll be using the workstation for Read/Write intensive applications such as ANSYS, hence a high data throughput is a huge advantage along with powerful processors, GPU and RAM. How much of a performance downgrade is observed in case of a RAID 1 vs Single drive?

For your ref I'm posting the complete configuration decided by me below:

• 2 X Intel Xeon E5-2687W v4 3.0 GHz 10 core CPU
  • 128 GB(8X16GB) DDR4 - 2400MHz ECC LR RAM
  • NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16 GB Graphics Card
  • 1400W PSU
  • 2X512GB Z Turbo Gen 2 PCIe SSD in RAID 1(Boot Drives)
  • Windows 10 Pro x64

Your valuable insights are highly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Regards

In most cases, performance remains the same unless the controller is being overworked (which won't be the case looking at your specs). Some RAID 1 solutions support striped reads, which reads data from the drives in a similar way to RAID 0, theoretically (but not practically) doubling the read performance. If you're going to be using onboard RAID, I don't think that feature is supported. 

Boot times will be a little slower due to the RAID controller having to initialise on boot, but other than that performance is unaffected. 

4 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Thanks a lot for your information. That eases out the choice of going for RAID 1 as desired.