Do I need the Strix Soar?

Kittens & Lazers

Hello everybody, I'm currently planning to upgrade my PC, I have a Z170 Deluxe for onboard audio and I plan to buy ATH-M50X as my entrance to *better than gaming-level* headphones, they do seem very popular.

One of my friends told me that the onboard audio on motherboard's bad compared to dedicated sound cards and suggested the Strix Soar.. Is it a good selection? Or would I not notice much difference for its price? Yes I do realise there are other options for sound cards but I'm geologically limited sadly.

14 minutes ago, Kittens & Lazers said:

I plan to buy ATH-M50X

Don't.

14 minutes ago, Kittens & Lazers said:

One of my friends told me that the onboard audio on motherboard's bad compared to dedicated sound cards and suggested the Strix Soar.. Is it a good selection?

Probably not. That motherboard audio chipset has what you need.

Lets ignore what you've been told so far and focus on what you actually need/want. First off, how much money can you spend on headphones (if it's not only just M50X price) and what kind of sound signature are you looking for?

2 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Don't.

Probably not. That motherboard audio chipset has what you need.

Lets ignore what you've been told so far and focus on what you actually need/want. First off, how much money can you spend on headphones (if it's not only just M50X price) and what kind of sound signature are you looking for?

Why should I not buy the ATH-M50X? 

Also, I'm looking for something neutral with some bass strength to it and not just flat 

1 hour ago, Kittens & Lazers said:

Why should I not buy the ATH-M50X? 

Because of this

1 hour ago, Kittens & Lazers said:

Also, I'm looking for something neutral with some bass strength to it and not just flat 

The M50(x) headphone is more of an analytic (this word doesn't mean neutral or uncolored to me) headphone meant for studio use. It has excellent construction and a decent sound signature (brighter than say, Sennheiser) so it got popular with many people - though I think it only got popular whenever MKBHD talked about them and went up from there. Now DBrand has skins for them, lol.

The headphone doesn't sound boring. It has a good bass thump and a slightly bright overall tone, but it's not for gaming even for closed back cans. The sound stage is really really closed, and the frequency response in my opinion isn't that great for gaming even with what I mentioned previously.

So, do you want something "fun"? Do you want closed back cans like the M50? If so, I would look at the Sennheiser 598c if you want closed, or the regular 598 if you want open.

46 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Because of this

The M50(x) headphone is more of an analytic (this word doesn't mean neutral or uncolored to me) headphone meant for studio use. It has excellent construction and a decent sound signature (brighter than say, Sennheiser) so it got popular with many people - though I think it only got popular whenever MKBHD talked about them and went up from there. Now DBrand has skins for them, lol.

The headphone doesn't sound boring. It has a good bass thump and a slightly bright overall tone, but it's not for gaming even for closed back cans. The sound stage is really really closed, and the frequency response in my opinion isn't that great for gaming even with what I mentioned previously.

So, do you want something "fun"? Do you want closed back cans like the M50? If so, I would look at the Sennheiser 598c if you want closed, or the regular 598 if you want open.

Will do, thanks for the help. 

Just now, Kittens & Lazers said:

Will do, thanks for the help. 

I need to correct something I said in that last part. I misused the word "fun" - I was planning on typing something else out after that but my brain switched gears.

The 598 and 598c should have a rolled-off-highs with a slight boost to the lows and low-mid frequencies, which is what you want. "Fun" means something else.

12 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I need to correct something I said in that last part. I misused the word "fun" - I was planning on typing something else out after that but my brain switched gears.

The 598 and 598c should have a rolled-off-highs with a slight boost to the lows and low-mid frequencies, which is what you want. "Fun" means something else.

Sounds like he wants a slight bass bump. For the open back option, I would go with the HD558 in this case. It also happens to be cheaper.