Headphones/mic don't show up anymore

GrumpyZade
Go to solution Solved by ChuckMaurice,
9 minutes ago, Zade_x said:

Holy shit, I got it lmfao. I right clicked on this, then clicked on "scan for hardware changes" and it fixed itself. I'm not sure if that was the solution from the start, but I'd like to think it wasn't. This website also might've helped if I hadn't uninstalled the driver already. 

I can theorise on this but I might be wrong:

- You had the original HP driver

- It went haywire after updating someting (so Nvidia or Windows-related updates)

- Windows 7 was already compatible with your sound card (even if HP installed the driver manually)

- So using the hardware scanner of W7 did the job it should have done if HP didn't installed the driver.

Or maybe the driver was "lost" after the updates and the solution mentionned in your website (locating an already installed driver) would definitely had work, but this is the same as what you did. Only Windows did the finding job for you.

Nowadays W7 and following versions are compatible with a lot of hardware from scratch. I only recommand installing drivers manually if something is wrong or sub-optimal. (ex for better GPU performance as Nvidia/AMD frequently update theirs).

Anyway your problem is fixed. Don't forget to greenlight your own comment.

4 minutes ago, Zade_x said:

My headphones/mic no longer work when I plug them in to my mb after I installed my 1060. https://gyazo.com/b43a08e46cd3309438ac797b29443488 this is my only option now

Right click and select show disabled devices and see if it shows up.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

I usually disable the Nvidia High definition audio device (not the devices you see on the list, but the device in Peripheral management) (cf screenshot).
The second one under (SB Recon3D PCIe) is my sound card. You should see something there too, that is probably disabled. Enable it. Send us a screenshot of your Peripheral management windows if you don't find anything.

Capture.PNG

[Insert smart comment here]

I'm starting to think this is my problem, but I don't really know what to do. Should I call hp or Microsoft?

1 minute ago, Zade_x said:

I'm starting to think this is my problem, but I don't really know what to do. Should I call hp or Microsoft?

Do you have the original drivers for your sound card? Maybe in a CD, or HP probably has them on their online support platform

I downloaded the drivers from hp, it failed when I tried installing it and said this.

Holy shit, I got it lmfao. I right clicked on this, then clicked on "scan for hardware changes" and it fixed itself. I'm not sure if that was the solution from the start, but I'd like to think it wasn't. This website also might've helped if I hadn't uninstalled the driver already. 

9 minutes ago, Zade_x said:

I can theorise on this but I might be wrong:

- You had the original HP driver

- It went haywire after updating someting (so Nvidia or Windows-related updates)

- Windows 7 was already compatible with your sound card (even if HP installed the driver manually)

- So using the hardware scanner of W7 did the job it should have done if HP didn't installed the driver.

Or maybe the driver was "lost" after the updates and the solution mentionned in your website (locating an already installed driver) would definitely had work, but this is the same as what you did. Only Windows did the finding job for you.

Nowadays W7 and following versions are compatible with a lot of hardware from scratch. I only recommand installing drivers manually if something is wrong or sub-optimal. (ex for better GPU performance as Nvidia/AMD frequently update theirs).

Anyway your problem is fixed. Don't forget to greenlight your own comment.