Windows Vista support/SSD?

Hey everyone, 

I currently have Windows vista on a HDD and want to upgrade to a SSD. Microsoft is stopping support for vista at the end of April. I'm going to buy a SSD and put Windows 8 on it.

If I have my old hard drive as a storage drive and SSD as boot with windows 8, will be system be secure after support for vista has stopped? Even though you are booting to Windows 8?

Any and all help will be appreciated :)

3 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

Yes, you can honestly just delete the OS files on the HDD after you got it on an SSD tbh

I wanna keep my files on my hard drive though. Would the hard drive still be vulnerable to viruses and things even if not booting to it? 

5 minutes ago, MrFrosty3799 said:

I wanna keep my files on my hard drive though. Would the hard drive still be vulnerable to viruses and things even if not booting to it? 

nope, only if your booting from it.

Windows Vista will run on a SSD but it will not take advantage of the features of a SSD because it lacks TRIM support that Windows 7 and later had. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Windows Vista will run on a SSD but it will not take advantage of the features of a SSD because it lacks TRIM support that Windows 7 and later had. 

I would be booting to Windows 8 with ssd.  My old hard drive that had vista on would be a storage drive 

24 minutes ago, MrFrosty3799 said:

Hey everyone, 

I currently have Windows vista on a HDD and want to upgrade to a SSD. Microsoft is stopping support for vista at the end of April. I'm going to buy a SSD and put Windows 8 on it.

If I have my old hard drive as a storage drive and SSD as boot with windows 8, will be system be secure after support for vista has stopped? Even though you are booting to Windows 8?

Any and all help will be appreciated :)

Get Windows 10 it is much better than 8. Vista is terrible but it will work.

here's a couple of commands for trim ....... I'm using ssd and Vista right now..... anyways

1.  fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

2.  fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

works good. better than a hard drive. but I think I had to manually disable some stuff....... page file and some other stuff I can't remember now.

9 minutes ago, LabRat said:

here's a couple of commands for trim ....... I'm using ssd and Vista right now..... anyways

1.  fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

2.  fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

works good. better than a hard drive. but I think I had to manually disable some stuff....... page file and some other stuff I can't remember now.

Why was that? I want to have windows 8 on ssd and use old hard drive as storage(vista? 

10 hours ago, MrFrosty3799 said:

Why was that? I want to have windows 8 on ssd and use old hard drive as storage(vista? 

working off the title.