DDR3 ram G4560

Go to solution Solved by Morgan MLGman,
52 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

where's you'd get that info from btw? couldn't find anything about it

Here:

I wanna buy the new Pentium G4560 for my rig, and came up with the following plan:

I want to buy an h110 motherboard and let the seller flash the newest bios to ensure kaby lake compatibility.

I want to buy a board that supports ddr3 ram, because I already have 2 4gb ddr3 sticks and don't want to spend another 50 euros.

But now I looked on the official intel page and found that the G4560 only supports ddr3l and ddr4 ram...

What would happen when I put a ddr3l compatible processor in a ddr3 compatible board? Would my old sticks work?

Thanks in advance :)

From what I researched some time ago, those normal-DDR3 LGA 1151 boards have a dedicated memory controller on them to ensure that the higher voltage of DDR3 doesn't damage the IMC (Integrated memory controller) on the CPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Alright thanks :)

But why does de Intel ark say that the CPU is compatible with ddr3l and ddr4?

Oh, I thought that those DDR3 boards run at lower voltages than normal. Anyhow, if you do go this route, you should undervolt the RAM on 1st boot. The controller was designed for DDR4 primarily, and that uses lower voltages than DDR3.

Intel officially supports up to 1.35V on the IMC. (default DDR4 is 1.2V, DDR3 is 1.5V, DDR3l is 1.35V)

I was looking at the ASUS H110M-K D3, which is meant to handle DDR3 memory. Would I still need to undervolt the ram?

31 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

From what I researched some time ago, those normal-DDR3 LGA 1151 boards have a dedicated memory controller on them to ensure that the higher voltage of DDR3 doesn't damage the IMC (Integrated memory controller) on the CPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

31 minutes ago, maxicosi said:

I was looking at the ASUS H110M-K D3, which is meant to handle DDR3 memory. Would I still need to undervolt the ram?

The DDR3 boards just past through the DDR3 input of the IMC instead of DDR4. They don't really do anything with it.

29 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

I found this: Intel ARK

Memory Types
DDR4-2133/2400, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V

52 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

Here:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Here:

Thanks, I will go the safe route then and buy a b250 and some new ddr4 ram for €50 more.