Motherboard Experience *NOT A RYZEN THREAD - WHOAH*

So, not a Ryzen thread, WHUUUUAAAT?

In all seriousness, I built my PC not long ago, and other than having great performance and looking amazing, my motherboard is really pissing me off. Some features aren't working properly, some are bad, some are unstable and some have just a cheap feeling quality (I'm using an MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon).

I've been looking around and I think I have found the motherboard I want: the Aorus Z270X Gaming 5;
it has: DUAL NIC
          A MONOBLOCK AVAILABLE
          simplistic look

good placement of the LEDs

affordable price.

Though I would like to know: How well does it overclock a Skylake CPU (I'm not getting a KabyLake chip, Im not that stupid)
                                              Are the drivers stable?

And is there any alternative options for around that price that has those things (except for the leds, as long I can turn it off, I couldnt care less)?
                                              (if the board has a VRM block instead of a mono block it's fine, as long it's an EK or a bitspower one)

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

4 minutes ago, Kevo05s said:

Im not that stupid

Debatable.  After all, you did by the MSI board that you're having problems with.  :P

On a more serious note.  What features aren't working that make you feel like you have to upgrade boards?  Don't get me wrong, I'm the first to go with higher end boards, but even I know that higher end boards don't make a world of difference when it comes to overclocking.  Do they help, sure, but when compared to mid-level boards, they only help a little.  When compared to some ITX boards with poor power delivery cooling, sure there can be a noticeable increase in overclocks, but going from what you have now to a Gaming 5 isn't going to improve overclocks much at all, if any.  

I don't like MSI so it takes a lot for me to have actually recommended that you keep it provided the features you mentioned not working aren't too bad.

11 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Debatable.  After all, you did by the MSI board that you're having problems with.  :P

On a more serious note.  What features aren't working that make you feel like you have to upgrade boards?  Don't get me wrong, I'm the first to go with higher end boards, but even I know that higher end boards don't make a world of difference when it comes to overclocking.  Do they help, sure, but when compared to mid-level boards, they only help a little.  When compared to some ITX boards with poor power delivery cooling, sure there can be a noticeable increase in overclocks, but going from what you have now to a Gaming 5 isn't going to improve overclocks much at all, if any.  

I don't like MSI so it takes a lot for me to have actually recommended that you keep it provided the features you mentioned not working aren't too bad.

I'm not looking at an upgrade in overclocking, I'm fine with my current overclock (I'm actually really happy about it) I'm scared that I lose the overclock I have, that's my concern, especially since I saw JayzTwoCents not able to achieve the overclock he had  on his EVGA, on his Gigabyte OC...

the problems I had are the following:
USB3.1 Gen2 corrupts my windows 10 kernel when I plug anything in the port (Type A, I dont have any type C device yet)
Audio card driver has a lot of features that are lacking (solved it by buying a dedicated sound card)
iGPU driver is unstabble

Motherboard gaming app is unstable and just a pain

Raid setup is clunky in the UEFI

the lighting controls are bad

Feels cheap and looks too "Gaming gimmick" for me...

Bought it because that was the closest to what I was looking for at the time of building, and because I wanted to give MSi a last chance (second board from them, second disappointment)

Last thing, I know it isn't an "upgrade" because they are about 40$ apart, but my previous Gigabyte boards had more stable features and were working fine...

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

6 minutes ago, Kevo05s said:

I'm not looking at an upgrade in overclocking, I'm fine with my current overclock (I'm actually really happy about it) I'm scared that I lose the overclock I have, that's my concern, especially since I saw JayzTwoCents not able to achieve the overclock he had  on his EVGA, on his Gigabyte OC...

the problems I had are the following:
USB3.1 Gen2 corrupts my windows 10 kernel when I plug anything in the port (Type A, I dont have any type C device yet)
Audio card driver has a lot of features that are lacking (solved it by buying a dedicated sound card)
iGPU driver is unstabble

Motherboard gaming app is unstable and just a pain

Raid setup is clunky in the UEFI

the lighting controls are bad

Feels cheap and looks too "Gaming gimmick" for me...

Bought it because that was the closest to what I was looking for at the time of building, and because I wanted to give MSi a last chance (second board from them, second disappointment)

Last thing, I know it isn't an "upgrade" because they are about 40$ apart, but my previous Gigabyte boards had more stable features and were working fine...

I've had MSI boards that fail me and gigabyte boards that fail me. The best thing you could do is read the reviews on the specific board you want. Did you make sure all drivers were installed and have you flashed the bios?

1 minute ago, lopj245 said:

I've had MSI boards that fail me and gigabyte boards that fail me. The best thing you could do is read the reviews on the specific board you want. Did you make sure all drivers were installed and have you flashed the bios?

I made sure that all the drivers were fine, even after the 6 windows installations I had to do the other week end because of that ****ing USB port (do diagnose I had to ruin windows installations) I did not update my BIOS no, but half of my problems won't be solved by that.... I understand both brand can have physical failure from their boards, but my problem is when they don't give a single flying f*** about their drivers

21 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Came here because I saw Ryzen in the title, but no Ryzen stuff here so I left disappointed. 

What OS are you using and what are the specific issues you're having?

that's my trick, I clickbait people for answers ;) 

and I mentioned a bit earlier what were my problems haha