High end gaming PC

Fantomex

Hey guys. Just wanted to see what you guys think of this build. It's a project for my son and I. The plan is to start with this build and upgrade and mod things in the future. Here's the build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7HwkRG

Plans moving forward are to sell the 1080 once the 1080Ti is released and have 2 Ti's in SLI. 

I also plan on purchasing another case, doesn't have to be the same one, but on to tinker with and mod in the future. 

Games I play mostly are Dota 2, The Division, and Overwatch. I might play the new Ghost Recon game if it's any good and maybe Destiny if it releases for PC later this year. 

So what do you think? 

12 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

Hey guys. Just wanted to see what you guys think of this build. It's a project for my son and I. The plan is to start with this build and upgrade and mod things in the future. Here's the build:

Plans moving forward are to sell the 1080 once the 1080Ti is released and have 2 Ti's in SLI. 

I also plan on purchasing another case, doesn't have to be the same one, but on to tinker with and mod in the future. 

Games I play mostly are Dota 2, The Division, and Overwatch. I might play the new Ghost Recon game if it's any good and maybe Destiny if it releases for PC later this year. 

So what do you think? 

I suggest you get the Titan X Pascal.  Just hear me out.

Yes, two 1080tis will wreck a Titan X Pascal in benchmarks because it has more raw power, but most games don't take advantage of SLI very well at all.  That's where the Titan X Pascal comes into play.  It has more power than a single 1080ti and can be used much more effectively in games compared to two 1080tis.  Also, a Titan X Pascal will probably be cheaper than two 1080tis.

Think of it this way.  It's like dual wielding pistols.  Yes, it has more raw firepower than one pistol, but what's the point if you can't use both effectively at the same time? 

Buy the Titan X here, it's much cheaper than Newegg or Amazon. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/titan-x-pascal/

True. I didn't really think about that way. I've always just though of the Titan to be more of a productivity type card. Only issue is that the initial budget wouldn't handle it. Moving forward I could upgrade but for now I'll have to get a cheaper card. So maybe sell the 1080 and upgrade to the Titan X or adjust the build and get the Titan X right away? 

20 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

So what do you think? 

Looks good, don't get 4x4gb sticks though, get 2x 8gb and keep 2x open slots.

I would also wait a few weeks and see how the ryzen series looks, it should at least shake up pricing.

What resolution are you playing it?

13 minutes ago, lilbman said:

Yes, two 1080tis will wreck a Titan X Pascal in benchmarks because it has more raw power, but most games don't take advantage of SLI very well at all.  That's where the Titan X Pascal comes into play.  It has more power than a single 1080ti and can be used much more effectively in games compared to two 1080tis.  Also, a Titan X Pascal will probably be cheaper than two 1080tis.

Think of it this way.  It's like dual wielding pistols.  Yes, it has more raw firepower than one pistol, but what's the point if you can't use both effectively at the same time? 

Oh god not this again. SLI scaling is 40 - 60% in games that support it, in 18 months of running 2x 970's only Just Cause 3 offered zero support. There's absolutely no reason the OP should opt for an XP over even 2 1080's never mind 2 ti's (if they release, not when). 4k rendering in Overwatch yields an almost 100% increase, 4k The Division 43 FPS vs 71FPS for SLI, that's plenty of performance. (the games the OP plays)

http://www.techspot.com/review/1195-palit-geforce-gtx-1080-sli/page3.html

20 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

So what do you think? 

Again, to you, just get 1080, and another later, 2 1080's will run the games "YOU" play at 4k 60 FPS +

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Thank you stealth. If it were up to me, I would wait for Ryzen/Vega but my son knows we're building a PC soon and asks me almost everyday when we're going to start. Lol. So I'm torn. I'd love to wait and see what the market does with AMDs releases but I also want us to start our project. 

I play at 1440p/144hz right now. But as you pointed out, part of the plan in the future would be an upgrade to 4k with the addition of a second GPU. 

3 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

Thank you stealth. If it were up to me, I would wait for Ryzen/Vega but my son knows we're building a PC soon and asks me almost everyday when we're going to start. Lol. So I'm torn. I'd love to wait and see what the market does with AMDs releases but I also want us to start our project. 

I play at 1440p/144hz right now. But as you pointed out, part of the plan in the future would be an upgrade to 4k with the addition of a second GPU. 

Ok well you appease your son whilst you wait for Ryzen, its like 2 weeks by all rumours. In the mean time, you could buy the case, PSU, cooler, Ram, (2x 8gb sticks!) SSD, Hard disk drive and a 1080. You could also on that time make yourself a sleeve cable extension kit and start a colour theme, like these:

https://cablemod.com/products/

http://shakmods.com/

That should pass some time, I believe the wait could be worth it, the 1600X is a 6c/12t with IPC the same as haswell/broadwell (and rumoured to be 50% faster than a 7600k) and is rumoured to cost $259 with the X370 boards hitting at $149 (Asus Pro)

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/6-core-ryzen-5-1600x-benchmarks-shows-50-faster-then-core-i5-7600k.html

Please wait lol

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Oh and ye, a 1080 is MORE than enough for 1440P right now. I'm using a Palit Gamerock Premium which happens to be one of the fastest out of the box but seems to be only available in the EU. I'm also on water meaning the card boosts and sits 2025 - 2050mhz. I play the Division daily, hitting around 70 - 100FPS depending on where I am in the game, FULLY maxed

Ryzen Ram Guide

11 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Ok well you appease your son whilst you wait for Ryzen, its like 2 weeks by all rumours. In the mean time, you could buy the case, PSU, cooler, Ram, (2x 8gb sticks!) SSD, Hard disk drive and a 1080. You could also on that time make yourself a sleeve cable extension kit and start a colour theme, like these:

https://cablemod.com/products/

http://shakmods.com/

That's actually a great idea. I never thought of that. Thanks. I'm actually gonna do that. 

Edit: Will Vega be released around the same time as Ryzen? Any clue or news on that? Should I wait to purchase the 1080 to see how Vega performs? 

3 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

That's actually a great idea. I never thought of that. Thanks. I'm actually gonna do that. 

Np, and 2x 8gb sticks ye? :D

Ryzen Ram Guide

1 hour ago, Fantomex said:

Wait for Ryzen

What display set up? please don't tell me it's 1080p

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

No it's 1440p 144hz lol. Slowly gonna make the transition to 4k once the build is fully finished. 

14 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

No it's 1440p 144hz lol. Slowly gonna make the transition to 4k once the build is fully finished. 

So is this like replacing a PC? Or is this going to become the only PC? Because you could build 2 pretty good PCs for that budget

And were you buying a monitor with the build?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

It's a second PC. The one I have now is going to my son. He's young but wants to play games with me. So I'll give him the other one and I'll have the new one. 

The one I have now has a 3770 non-k and a 970. I know I could build a cheaper PC but I want this to be an ongoing project for us. Upgrading it to 4k with an SLI setup, modding the case, watercooling, etc. 

Psu is overkill, incase yoy didnt know higher 80+ rating doesnt equal better psu, there are ones for 1/2 the cost that would work, and if you want to spend 170 on a psu you could go with a higher wattage so it would be longer/wouldnt have to upgrade the psu when your getting the 1080 ti sli

1 hour ago, lilbman said:

Buy the Titan X here, it's much cheaper than Newegg or Amazon. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/titan-x-pascal/

Also dont do this, a single 1080 is as good as a titan x for gaming

I had considered it briefly as I haven't ever really looked at the performance of it. But after quick research, I'm definitely gonna stick with the 1080. 

56 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

It's a second PC. The one I have now is going to my son. He's young but wants to play games with me. So I'll give him the other one and I'll have the new one. 

The one I have now has a 3770 non-k and a 970. I know I could build a cheaper PC but I want this to be an ongoing project for us. Upgrading it to 4k with an SLI setup, modding the case, watercooling, etc. 

You could easily go X99 for the money, SLI/Crossfire generally isn't worth considering at all, the PSU here is of course overkill

Ryzen should offer about the same CPU performance for less, or 2 more cores for not much more

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CBrRM8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CBrRM8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($408.48 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Taichi ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($96.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($132.94 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($589.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.99 @ Jet)
Total: $1783.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-17 22:06 EST-0500

Spoiler

I have quite a collection of Master Chief memorabilia from years ago. My son is big into Halo right now. So we're going to do a themed build based on that. Which includes a custom built desk, custom paint for the case, and a custom loop. That's why I chose the parts that I did.  So from an appearance perspective, I want it to look awesome. What better way than an SLI setup? 

2 hours ago, Fantomex said:

Yeah I've already changed it. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/db2506/saved/fyGdCJ

Saved a little bit of money. Lol

i would get this PSU instead...otherwise looks awesome!

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jBZ2FT/evga-power-supply-220p20750x1

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Thanks man. I chose the Seasonic one because it came highly recommended from a friend. Is there any major difference in the two? I know they both very well made and reliable brands. 

5 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

Thanks man. I chose the Seasonic one because it came highly recommended from a friend. Is there any major difference in the two? I know they both very well made and reliable brands. 

yes the EVGA is made by superflower and is 10 years warranty it's a top notch PSU and it's quite a bit cheaper and better quality overall.

Check reviews on jonnyguru the P2 750W and 850W are 10/10 other than value because at the time it was expensive but you can get one for 120-130$ on newegg i would swing for it in a heart beat. superflower has a better platform and is better than seasonic in the stupid high-end market.

750W and 850W share the same platform:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=444

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-750-p2-platinum-psu,4566.html

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

yes the EVGA is made by superflower and is 10 years warranty it's a top notch PSU and it's quite a bit cheaper and better quality overall.

Check reviews on jonnyguru the P2 750W and 850W are 10/10 other than value because at the time it was expensive but you can get one for 120-130$ on newegg i would swing for it in a heart beat. superflower has a better platform and is better than seasonic in the stupid high-end market.

750W and 850W share the same platform:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=444

Awesome. I've changed that up as well. Appreciate it. Saved a little more there too. Sweet. 

1 hour ago, Fantomex said:

I have quite a collection of Master Chief memorabilia from years ago. My son is big into Halo right now. So we're going to do a themed build based on that. Which includes a custom built desk, custom paint for the case, and a custom loop. That's why I chose the parts that I did.  So from an appearance perspective, I want it to look awesome. What better way than an SLI setup? 

It just leaves you with a $600 GPU not doing much work

I can almost recommend Dual 480s, doesn't make much sense here, but at least there you got a $200 GPU sitting around doing nothing

Although you would be able to do the custom loop right away saving money with the 480

Although you'd probably want after market cards with like the universal water block here in that case
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-thermosphere

Spoiler

Well for the games I play like @stealth80said, it scales pretty decent. Not sure about Dota but for The Division and Overwatch, it scales pretty well.