Under-performing RX 480

loubot1

Hi, I bought a Gigabyte G1 Gaming RX480 4gb about a month ago now having read multiple reviews and videos saying it was capable of running the likes of GTA V and other games on Ultra with no problems, whereas I'm having troubles holding 60fps on High-ish settings, whilst also experiencing some freezing on stunt races. I'm using an i5 4690k OC to 4.4GHz, my screen resolution is 1920x1200, and I have a TV as a second screen on 1920x1080 resolution. I haven't overclocked the card at all. The temps usually only reach about 70C-75C at the very most.

Other benchmarks such as Unigine Heaven and Valley seem to be pulling in hugely low scores compared to others I've seen: Valley - http://puu.sh/u7j6g/51841e0105.png Heaven - http://puu.sh/u7k87/08743a3134.png

The core clock stayed at 1290MHz the whole time. I also tried turning up the power limit but it improved the score by 2, and I have also tried running one display which made absolutely no difference.

This was also posted on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5umcy5/underperforming_rx480/ ) but so far I haven't got any real solutions. GTA V and H1Z1: KotK are still stuttering and dipping below 60fps on medium/high settings which is very frustrating.

Is it under-performing or am I expecting too much from this card?

Drivers up to date? Any programs running in the background you might not know about? H1Z1 and GTA V are more CPU bound. Look up benchmarks of the 4690k and RX 480 in GTA V and see those numbers, most benchmarks that test the 480 use a 6700k or 5820k/6800k which GTA V benefits from quite a bit and possibly H1Z1 also. Card is slightly under performing but certainly when I think of stuttering I think of the CPU being the issue and the games you mention are more CPU bound

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Try to over clock it just to see if it is actually plugged in because it could be in wrong and will not connect to the pc so you might be running on built in graphics.

CASE: deepcool dukase v2 MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte gaming 3 CPU: intel core i5 6500 GPU: Gigabyte gtx 1070 g1 gaming CPU COOLER: enermax liqmax II 120s SSD: Kingston ssdnow uv400 240gb RAM: crucial ballistic sport (1 x 8) PSU: Cooler Master GX 650W

17 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Drivers up to date? Any programs running in the background you might not know about? H1Z1 and GTA V are more CPU bound. Look up benchmarks of the 4690k and RX 480 in GTA V and see those numbers, most benchmarks that test the 480 use a 6700k or 5820k/6800k which GTA V benefits from quite a bit and possibly H1Z1 also. Card is slightly under performing but certainly when I think of stuttering I think of the CPU being the issue and the games you mention are more CPU bound

Yes, the drivers are up to date and I always keep on top of unnecessary background programs so I doubt it would be that! It probably is more CPU bound but after forking out £170 for this I'm not very pleased with it to say the least! May have to wait for Ryzen to see what they have to offer.

4 minutes ago, creepybob said:

Try to over clock it just to see if it is actually plugged in because it could be in wrong and will not connect to the pc so you might be running on built in graphics.

With the iGPU numbers like that wouldn't be possible

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)