How do I re-program a USB SD card reader?

If anyone has been keeping tabs on me, you'll know I'm deep into this USB SD card reader project of mine. I'm at a point where everything seems to work, but there's a catch.

If I plug my USB SD card reader into the PC first, then plug my SD card into it, the computer doesn't see the SD card.

If I plug my SD card into the reader first, then plug it all into my PC, the computer sees it. Problem is if I remove the card and try to reinsert it, the computer won't read it again.

With or without the card, the computer still chimes when I plug the USB reader into the port, so the stick isn't dead. From what I understand, the USB SD card reader attempts to read what's plugged into it only once at the point it receives power from the USB port. Is there a way for me to re-program the stick or my computer to keep making the stick re-check itself for an SD card? Of course I don't want it to keep re-prompting me over and over again if I leave an SD card in it. Is there a way I can keep my USB SD card reader alive and open to me inserting and removing SD cards while just leaving the stick plugged in? :S

(PS. The answer is not to buy a new reader.)

-iOutatime

The answer IS to buy a new reader. I had the same problem with a very old Hama reader. I bought a transcend one when I needed to read SDXC cards, now the problem is gone.

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

Just now, dany_boy said:

The answer IS to buy a new reader. I had the same problem with a very old Hama reader. I bought a transcend one when I needed to read SDXC cards, now the problem is gone.

This is a transcend reader. I'm rewiring it to read SD cards to another location in a case build. Can't buy a new one.

-iOutatime

1 minute ago, iOutatime said:

This is a transcend reader. I'm rewiring it to read SD cards to another location in a case build. Can't buy a new one.

I'm not saying the brand is the problem, that was only my personal example. As for actually "re-programming" the reader, you can pretty much forget about it. Most of the times basic USB devices use ASICs (application specific IC). Those kinds of chips are hardwired to so only one thing and cannot be modified in any significant way. if you cant buy a new one, maybe you could use a USB extension so that you can plug it and unplug it with ease.

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

23 minutes ago, dany_boy said:

I'm not saying the brand is the problem, that was only my personal example. As for actually "re-programming" the reader, you can pretty much forget about it. Most of the times basic USB devices use ASICs (application specific IC). Those kinds of chips are hardwired to so only one thing and cannot be modified in any significant way. if you cant buy a new one, maybe you could use a USB extension so that you can plug it and unplug it with ease.

I've already soldered the stick and components to their spots in the build. The will be inside my case so it will be impossible for me to unplug it and reinsert it.

-iOutatime

Cut away a portion of the SD insert and have a little push switch there that gets pressed down when an SD card is inserted. This push switch would connect the USB power to the SD reader an it should work all fine. Or alternatively, get a new reader :P

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.