Laptop's hdd not working, trying to wipe it but it crashes pc

PillowFortEngineer

Hello guys, My laptop's hdd was acting up and crashing everytime i booted (wouldnt even let me get to bios), so i decided to take it off and hook it up to my pc to wipe it and install a clean version of windows, however i cant even click on it without it crashing my pc. I even tried un-pluging my two other drives and installing windows directly (without previously wiping it, did it because a friend told me that the windows setup can delete the partitions) but it would just give me the same error as i got in the laptop. Do i just buy a new hdd at this point? keep in mind this is a laptop hdd. Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, PillowFortEngineer said:

Hello guys, My laptop's hdd was acting up and crashing everytime i booted (wouldnt even let me get to bios), so i decided to take it off and hook it up to my pc to wipe it and install a clean version of windows, however i cant even click on it without it crashing my pc. I even tried un-pluging my two other drives and installing windows directly (without previously wiping it, did it because a friend told me that the windows setup can delete the partitions) but it would just give me the same error as i got in the laptop. Do i just buy a new hdd at this point? keep in mind this is a laptop hdd. Thanks in advance.

Do you have means of testing the HDD without the laptop involved? It seems weird that you get crashes in the bios, bios is not stored in the drive. If you get errors with the HDD outside the laptop, then yes just change it.

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

2 minutes ago, dany_boy said:

Do you have means of testing the HDD without the laptop involved? It seems weird that you get crashes in the bios, bios is not stored in the drive. If you get errors with the HDD outside the laptop, then yes just change it.

Yes, i been testing it on my desktop but it gives the same error. It said something about SMART. I cant even boot to my usb windows kit when the hdd is plugged in to the desktop.

Drive's on it's way out. SMART refers to "Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology". Basically the drive keeps an eye on itself and watches for any signs that the drive might be wearing out. The reason your desktop was being slow/crashing is that the OS is trying over and over to access a disk that isn't responding.

Note that SMART won't catch drive failures all the time. Try using a dual drive docking station that has a cloning function. More info here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TETQ_oCJgFI

No better time to go Solid State anyways.