Question about my fan positioning - too many?

Baab

So I've been thinking about how to reduce the heat inside my case (and together with that - noise) and thought, maybe I have too many fans or at least the side intake should be exhaust instead?

I have the Fractal Design r2 XL chassi and am running 2x intake in the front, 1x intake at the side, 1x intake at bottom, 2x exhaust at top, 1x exhaust at rear. So yeah. Lots of fans.

Running MSI 980Ti SLI, with the upper card peaking at 83-85 degrees sometimes.

4770k @ 4GHz and in some games (Inquisition for ex) CPU temps are at 75~ degrees, but normally hoovers around 65isch in most other games.

Any comments are appreciated :)

if all the fans are same size and quality, you have a nice setup with a bit of overpressure. sounds good. what you can do is play with RPM for a bit. Up the intake rpm of the front fans and up the rpm of the top fans. see if the temps drop. also try to max out the rpm of the cpu fan. see if it drops the temps. if not, then you maybe have a too small cpu cooler. 

I assume GPUs are open-air models (which are worse for SLI/Crossfire cooling wise). Side fan should be exhaust since both fans are blowing hot air towards it. I would remove one of top/rear exhausts too. Depending on which cooler you use, fans aren't doing that much to aid CPU cooler.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks to you both, will experiment some.