Confusing performance values

PolosElite23
Go to solution Solved by EminentSun,

As for the cpu cores, thats normal. Programs will utilize different cores for different tasks.

I would start by updating the graphics driver, especially if your not on relive yet, the 480 had some major issues with earlier drivers.

I have a pretty much full fresh install. I'm confused as to why I'm seeing some low framerates/Inconsistent performance in the games I've tried playing. (For example, World of Tanks I'm seeing from 20 to 50+ FPS and its really inconsistent.)

System Specs:

Intel i5-6500 

XFX RX 480 GTR Black Edition 8GB

16GB (2x8) Hyperx Fury DDR4

CPU/GPU Pics

Spoiler

CPU: (Strikes me odd that Resource monitor and Afterburner are reading the cores differently? Comment on that?)
46ccaa4e41a38bd978a925dbb8ddeada.PNG

GPU: Looks like it's performing as intended?

cabc8241bd90a1b075cc377faaa258b7.PNG

I can provide more data points if needed. I'm just unsure what is causing the issue. :/ I've seen benchmarks that are pulling much higher FPS with 480s. So not sure what is up here...

Spoiler

[CPU] Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core        [Motherboard] MSI B150 Gaming M3
[RAM] 8GB Kingston Black (1x8GB) DDR4-2133         [GPU] Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5
[Case] Fractal Design Define R4    [PSU] Corsair CX600M
[Storage] Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB, WD Caviar Blue 1TB   [OS] Windows 10

As for the cpu cores, thats normal. Programs will utilize different cores for different tasks.

I would start by updating the graphics driver, especially if your not on relive yet, the 480 had some major issues with earlier drivers.

1 minute ago, EminentSun said:

Oh sorry read that wrong, resource/task manager is really inaccurate, just stick with afterburner.

5 minutes ago, EminentSun said:

So, pull the drivers for "Crimson ReLive Edition 17.1.2 Optional" Off of AMD's site? I'm running Version 16.6 according to Radeon Settings. I'm downloading that right now.

5 minutes ago, EminentSun said:

Oh sorry read that wrong, resource/task manager is really inaccurate, just stick with afterburner.

Figured as much, however, it is interesting to me then. That means I'm running 100% Usage on all cores? or am I reading that wrong? I wouldn't expect an i5-6500 to bottleneck a 480. Perhaps it is just the drivers?

Spoiler

[CPU] Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core        [Motherboard] MSI B150 Gaming M3
[RAM] 8GB Kingston Black (1x8GB) DDR4-2133         [GPU] Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5
[Case] Fractal Design Define R4    [PSU] Corsair CX600M
[Storage] Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB, WD Caviar Blue 1TB   [OS] Windows 10

19 minutes ago, PolosElite23 said:

Figured as much, however, it is interesting to me then. That means I'm running 100% Usage on all cores? or am I reading that wrong? I wouldn't expect an i5-6500 to bottleneck a 480. Perhaps it is just the drivers?

You can try reinstalling your drivers certainly, but some games are just CPU heavy. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch