Screws

HeroXLazer

So for a custom keyboard project, I need M2 self-tapping brass screws for wood at any size below 15mm. Where can I find them?

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Most hardware stores should have them. 

Are there any places online where I can find them?

2 minutes ago, HeroXLazer said:

Unless you specifically need them to be brass, you should be able to get them from Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=m2+self+tapping+screws&sprefix=m2+self%2Ctools%2C200&crid=BUSFZA6X6ADH

eBay is worth checking too. Look for online hardware stores in your country.

9 minutes ago, HeroXLazer said:

are you saying you'd rather order them online, or that there's no hardware store nearby? :P

Brass screws are really soft.  If you are driving them into hardwood make certain you pre-drill your holes!  There is nothing worse that a ruined project because a screw head broke off in the worst spot.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

59 minutes ago, manikyath said:

are you saying you'd rather order them online, or that there's no hardware store nearby? :P

I'd rather order them online.

44 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Brass screws are really soft.  If you are driving them into hardwood make certain you pre-drill your holes!  There is nothing worse that a ruined project because a screw head broke off in the worst spot.

I'm going to have pre-drilled holes.

46 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

tbh, for the sake of style points, you should predrill anyways, because no matter the wood you risk cracking it if you dont.

24 minutes ago, manikyath said:

tbh, for the sake of style points, you should predrill anyways, because no matter the wood you risk cracking it if you dont.

Yes, definitely.  And be sure to pre-drill the right size.  The size depends on the screw size AND wood hardness.  Harder wood needs a bigger hole (not too big of course - the screw still needs to be able to thread itself).  Brass screws will break easily, especially the small ones.

I recently made a project with walnut and learned my lesson the hard way.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build