how much longer will FX 8350 still be viable?

so late in 2015 i built my first full fledged gaming PC and now i feel like some components I've chosen were a mistake, mainly my FX 8350. It was a good cpu at the time and 2 years ago me thought that getting an 8 core amd processor was better than getting a quad core i5. Now with Ryzen right around the corner i know most people will tell me to buy it when it launches but I've got a slight issue, as a university student who isn't making any money how long is the 8350 still going to be viable for gaming?  

I'm running the 8350 as well. I would say as long as you have 16+ gb of RAM, and a good GPU, the FX 8350 will still hold up for another 3 years at least. If you have to, put a good aftermarket cooler on it and overclock it. But honestly I don't know of many games today where it would even be necessary to overclock the FX 8350. Of course that depends on what you are trying to run with it. Personally I still have a 1080p monitor running 60hz. Now if you are trying to game at 2k or 4k you might run into a bottleneck, but I can't say for sure, as I haven't tried it. I'm about to upgrade from the R9 290x to the RX 480, and I expect that I will be happy for another 3-4 years while I decide on what my next big build will be.

iv had a FX since the first release 5 or 6 years ago and its still good

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

A Piledriver based FX CPU like yours is fine, the only why I sold my FX 6300 was because I want to move to mini-itx.

If you want to upgrade, I would recommended you sell it now, my 1.5 year old 6300 sold for $15AUD less than I bought it for, that is because it is currently AMD's current gen CPUs.

I really did like my FX 6300 and it did everything I wanted it to do other than form factor wise.