Interent Jitter / Buffer Bloat

Marando93

Hi guys,

So for the past few months I have had an issue with internet jitter, if anyone is familiar with this or know a fix I would appreciate some help. It is very noticeable in CS Go that my character will stutter around and rubber band at high FPS 200+ and a 30-40 MS ping. 

My Download speed and ping seem great, however my jitter is really high and is frustrating me. My ping test results are below. Jitter reaches sometimes as high as 30 when this number should be close to 0ms no more than 5 ms

158914705.png

I have already contacted my ISP and have had a tech come over my house twice with no solution. They tell me everything looks fine from their end. Im not sure what else to do.

Any help would be appreciated 

Do you have a wired connection?

Also it might help replacing the cable with a decent one (cat 6e i think?).

Imo 12ms is really low, i have lag spikes with a jitter of sometimes 2000+ ms.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Im using a Wired Connection, and FPS games are unplayable for me with those results 

pingtest.net (and most of the other popular speed tests) are fine if you only want to measure data rates, or if you want to know the ping/jitter when the line is idle.

But if you're gaming, you need to measure ping times (latency/lag) during upload and downloads. That is a more accurate reflection of your home network's condition. If someone else uses the network at the same time, or if your phone is uploading photos/syncing to the cloud in the background, that'll affect the lag.

The easiest way to test latency/lag is www.dslreports.com/speedtest - it measures latency during idle times as well as during the down/uploads.

If you find the latency is bad (if the bufferbloat grade is worse than a B) then your router most likely has "bufferbloat" - induced latency caused by traffic. 

To make things better, see "What to do about Bufferbloat" at https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/What_to_do_about_Bufferbloat/ 

On 2/10/2017 at 9:27 AM, richb-hanover said:

@richb-hanover These were my results, I used a net limiter and caped the DL to 50 mbps, however I am still getting a D grade for bluffer Bloat,

Can you recommend any solutions? I was getting a red reading on the Upload portion of the test 

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/10484959